Shooter is PC | Editor is Mac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 7th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #1
Major Player

Shooter is PC | Editor is Mac

I'm shooting something this week (1920x1080i) on EX-1 that will be edited by someone elsewhere on FCP. I am PC (Avid). He's familiar with tapeless workflow (P2) but never edited EX footage. What's the best/easiest/most foolproof way to deliver the files for him? He's sending me a hard drive. Should I copy everything to his hard drive, including the BPAV folders, Clipbrowser, Sony EX codecs and Transfer utility, or should I just export the files from Avid as quicktimes? If so, with what codec? Also, can Macs still read Fat32 formatted drives? I think that was a snag recently when I tried to do a cross-platform conversion. I don't want it to be a pain for either of us.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Copy all separate BPAV folders in separate folders with a different name :like BPAV 1 , BPAV 2.

If it is a pro editor it will be easy for him to access and download XDCAM Transfer version 2.9 for Mac and XDCAM EX ClipBrowser version 2.5 and also SxS drivers for Mac.

All that stuff is a free download from Sony websites

Do not copy manually , Windows must have also a way to copy BPAV folders.

Do not modify anythings inside those BPAV folders or send him anythings from your Avid.

XDCAM EX ClipBrowser for PC and MAC and all related softwares is available here :

http://www.sony.ca/xdcamex/support.htm
Old July 7th, 2009, 11:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Daniel: The separate BPAV folders bit is not platform specific - same with PC and common practice, but thanks anyway. I was hoping to hear something about the Mac hard drive format. Can you help with that? i.e. can a Mac read a Fat32 drive?
Old July 7th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Ronn,

There are a number of ways to skin this cat, BUT you're going to run into some PITA problems. You can hand off the RAW BPAV folders and have the editor use the Sony software. That should work. Alternately, you could make Avid DNxHD quicktimes and have him download the DNxHD codec for the Mac. That also works.

The bigger issue is the physical drives. If you two are not going to be in the same place and he's going to give you a HD formatted FAT32, then you have a 4GB file size limit for a single file. This is a royal pain. Macs cannot read NTFS so you can't reformat the drive to something that works for you.

What I did when facing this issue (I was on PC and doing grading for someone who was on a Mac), I let them format the drive in HFS (Mac native) and bought a copy of MacDrive 7. This utility gets installed on the PC and makes using Mac disks absolutely seamless. I now trade Mac formatted USB, Firewire, Compactflash and SDHC cards like they were native.

It's been worth every dime.
Old July 7th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #5
Major Player

Organize each of the cards' BPAV folders into respective folders named Card 1, Card 2 etc.

Deliver those to the editor, who can then import them directly into FCP using the XDCAM Log and Transfer plugin, found here:

Sony : XDCAM EX Log and Transfer Utility Mac OS : Other

Cake!
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Fat32 should not be an issue. The Sony XDCAM and SxS file structure is all based on the use of Fat32 storage so no files are bigger than 4Gb. FCP has an option to split any renders etc to 4Gb chunks automatically.
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:06 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
What I did when facing this issue (I was on PC and doing grading for someone who was on a Mac), I let them format the drive in HFS (Mac native) and bought a copy of MacDrive 7. This utility gets installed on the PC and makes using Mac disks absolutely seamless. I now trade Mac formatted USB, Firewire, Compactflash and SDHC cards like they were native.

It's been worth every dime.
Interesting. When I tried to use a Mac formatted drive on my netbook pc using MacDrive it wouldn't read the media, and when I asked MacDrive about it they said some media aren't supported. I wonder now if it wasn't some other part of the chain, like trying to read from the drive via the expresscard/fw adapter.
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Chandler View Post
Interesting. When I tried to use a Mac formatted drive on my netbook pc using MacDrive it wouldn't read the media, and when I asked MacDrive about it they said some media aren't supported. I wonder now if it wasn't some other part of the chain, like trying to read from the drive via the expresscard/fw adapter.
I did this earlier in the year with a Mac formatted 500GB ext drive, and I did it two weeks ago with a Mac formatted compact flash card, plugged into a CF USB adapter. I bought a SanDisk USB adatper that has CF, SDHC, and miniSD slots and it works perfectly.

-P
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:42 AM   #9
Major Player

When you used the drive, what was the connection?
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Chandler View Post
When you used the drive, what was the connection?
It was usb2.0. I remember it had it's own special cable...
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #11
Major Player

Thanks Perrone - that's pretty much what I figured. I saw the MacDrive software but hadn't heard whether it worked on not. I'm going to give it a try. And what PITA doesn't know won't hurt them.
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Fat32 should not be an issue. The Sony XDCAM and SxS file structure is all based on the use of Fat32 storage so no files are bigger than 4Gb. FCP has an option to split any renders etc to 4Gb chunks automatically.
That's good info right there...

In my case, we were trying to trade stuff my friend had shot on HDV and captured to his machine. An hour's worth at a time. So that just wasn't happening for us. Good to know the BPAV file structure avoids this problem.

Could still be an issue for the rendered file though once the project is done. If the Mac user is going to finish it though, it should never need to come back except maybe as a proof.
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #13
Major Player

the macdrive people said I could not do clipbrowser on a pc, moving clips to a mac formatted hard drive. Were they wrong? Overly cautious? I repeated the question back to them to make sure I wasn't misstating the issue and they were insistant macdrive and clipbrowser are incompatible.

I think the other way to solve the issue is to format the hard drive as ntsf and load the clips to the hard drive. The editor will need a converter for mac to read ntsf. I can't remember the name of that software but it's out there for mac. Just remember that when you format the drive, you erase everything already on it!
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Kukla View Post
the macdrive people said I could not do clipbrowser on a pc, moving clips to a mac formatted hard drive. Were they wrong? Overly cautious? I repeated the question back to them to make sure I wasn't misstating the issue and they were insistant macdrive and clipbrowser are incompatible.
Interesting. I'll give this a try this week and report back. But honestly, all you'ld have to do is do clipbrowser on the PC, write the files to the PC, then copy them to the Mac formatted disk.
Old July 8th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #15
Inner Circle

I use a netbook PC with an express card slot to backup my cards to Fat32 USB hard drives. I have no problem reading those drives and the data on my Macs. FCP will capture HDV breaking it into 4Gb chunks on the fly. It might be worth checking for future reference whether your capture software can do the same. I now make a point of trying to keep everything less than 4Gb as I often have to hand off material to PC users and Mac users and Fat32 is the simplest solution.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds