EX-3/Tripod base Plate--DM Plate vs.VFGagets - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 26th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff DeMaagd View Post
Just as a note, if there is any owner dissatisfaction with the plates, I would appreciate specific feedback. I want to make it right and improve the product. If it means taking the part back for a refund, or exchanging it for an improved plate that meets their needs, then I'm willing to do that. Until now, I hadn't heard of anything negative from people that have used them, it's generally been overwhelmingly positive. So far, I have responded to the requests for black, and have added more battery mount options too.

My email address is on the site and in the instructions, and an email or private message can be sent using this forum too.
Jeff,

The former owner is a guy who is not trashing you, but thinks the plate is not necessary as he is a 'producer" type thats shoots...as I disagree with him on your product. Many people who own your product says its the best thing to get, and my mind is made up as all these post have helped out.

Bill Griffin
Dallas, Texas
Old February 27th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #17
Major Player

WOW! I just received my all-black set very nice! Jeff has accommodated for even more battery systems and tripod plates with additional holes. Nice job, Jeff!
Old February 28th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #18
Major Player

DM's U-14 wedge solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Webster View Post
Although you can fit a wedge plate to work with the Sony VCT-U14, I find without the benefit of a rear lock down point I prefer the 2 screw snap plate mount.
I have the VF gadgets plate and am happy with that. The DM version seems similar in design so should be good too.

Re. the U-14 fitting; although I picked up the VF baseplate with the blue U-14 wedge and it works satisfactorily, I have noted a DM version of the U-14 wedge which has 'shoulders' (for want of a better term). This should fit on the bottom of the VF plate (as well as the DM one) and provide some increased resistance to lateral shudder - provided that it is a snug fit to the front of a U-14 plate. Will probably try this out soon.

Jus.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Griffin View Post
Jeff,

The former owner is a guy who is not trashing you, but thinks the plate is not necessary as he is a 'producer" type thats shoots...as I disagree with him on your product. Many people who own your product says its the best thing to get, and my mind is made up as all these post have helped out.
Sounds good. I wasn't taking offense, I just want to make sure problems don't fester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Webster View Post
We have the basic DM plate on a rental camera and it does what we bought it for, protecting the bottom screw plate from being ripped out of the camera by customers who insist on transporting camera and tripod, by the camera handle alone.

Although you can fit a wedge plate to work with the Sony VCT-U14, I find without the benefit of a rear lock down point I prefer the 2 screw snap plate mount.
I hope to offer a plate that connects to the rear pin on the U14. Anyone that needs one right now, there is one that is available. Philip Bloom has endorsed it, I just don't recall where to get it.

Quote:
You can use ths Chrosziel Sony Universal 401-51 Light Weight Rod mount for Follow Focus and Matte Box mounting. You have to mount the rod holders upside down so that the wing tab tighteners are facing down. The only issue is you can't mount the camera by snap plate with the 401-51 in use as the 401-51 is slightly higher than the snap plate itself.

At some stage we'll modify a 401-51 by cutting it back, re-tapping and grinding down the sides which will allow us to mount both 401-51 and snap plate.

Jeff, If you haven't already, please look at a product for the underside of the EX-1!
Thanks for the info on Chrosziel, there are a couple people I should notify about this. I am considering the EX1, I think I can solve that problem.

Last edited by Jeff DeMaagd; February 28th, 2009 at 09:50 AM.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #20
New Boot

We are using a VFgadgets plate with a VCT-14, Zacuto Zwing away, and Vocas Matte box. Strong reinforcement and good support. David O'Keefe is a shooter and great to work with. The rod/wedge adaptor has a tightening screw on camera right that hits about wrist level. Can be a little irritating for hand held.
Martin Sonnenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I've just ordered the DM version. I was waiting for the all black version and at $179 plus $13 shipping to the UK it was a no brainer. Mind you, from past experience of ordering things from the states I'll get stung big time on VAT and handling charges when it hits UK customs!

Edit: Just had some e-mails from Jeff to say the unit has already been shipped (even though I only ordered it about 3 hours ago and it's Saturday). That's a pretty good service! Thanks!

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; February 28th, 2009 at 01:33 PM.
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 03:59 AM   #22
Trustee

A few thoughts on the DM shoulder mount.

I purchased the DM shoulder mount about one month ago, because I felt the retractable shoulder mount on the EX3 wasn’t sufficient for my needs and also the tripod socket on the camera leaves a lot to be desired.

Just a few points with the shoulder mount.

1. I hate the grey finish, unfortunately at the time of purchase black wasn’t an option.

2. Although the construction is solid, I can’t help feeling that this has been put together in a garage

3. The actual shoulder mount is designed for people with a pyramid shaped shoulder, I would have liked a curved mount.

4. The foam padding is not my idea of quality material, I would have preferred better quality padding, maybe with a leather covering or strong PVC

5. When in use with the camera the balance is not right, you are constantly trying to pull the camera over with your right hand, you can’t use this combination for any extended periods.

6. The camera is very stable and the mount will accommodate many base plate types

Am I dissatisfied with the mount?

No, on the contrary, I do like it very much, but there are many details that need to be sorted.

My camera and tripod combination collapsed about a month ago and my lens was a write off. Fortunately I had the DM mount attached to the camera and I believe that had it not been in use then the Sony tripod mount would have been ripped out of the camera.

If Jeff incorporates a few modifications then I will probably buy it again. If I were buying the shoulder mount today, then I would probably buy just the base plate version, the EX3 is better suited to tripod or monopod work. In my opinion the shoulder mount is not there yet.
Old March 1st, 2009, 11:42 AM   #23
Major Player

Vincent,

I guessing you did not purchase the component that pivots. Without that piece, the shoulder mount is only just a step up from the Sony-provided pad.

Perhaps you don't use an AB or IDX battery - if so, than the pivoting piece wouldn't have helped you. However, since I do use an AB battery, I've found that this piece really helps a great deal as all of it's weight plus the battery mount and battery (and anything else located here) is located behind the shoulder. Effectively, that weight (a few pounds) gets subtraced from the weight forward of your shoulder - the part that your right hand supports. To me, this makes all the difference in the world.

Once extended, the front of the camera only weighs two or three pounds - this basically transforms it into a proper should mount camera. Also, the side torque which pains my wrist normally is nearly eliminated with the shoulder mount.

FWIW
Old March 1st, 2009, 03:20 PM   #24
Trustee

I don't have AB batteries so I didn't need the extra pivot component. I also felt that the whole unit started to look like a do it yourself item from page 16 of the 1948 Meccano catalogue. Not realy in keeping with the stylish appearance of the EX3.

Don't read this wrong, on the whole I am satisfied with the DM shoulder mount and would recommend anyone to purchase it, but having said that I look forward to the next generation which I hope will take into account appearance as well as functionality.
Old March 1st, 2009, 08:30 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
I don't have AB batteries so I didn't need the extra pivot component. I also felt that the whole unit started to look like a do it yourself item from page 16 of the 1948 Meccano catalogue. Not realy in keeping with the stylish appearance of the EX3.

Don't read this wrong, on the whole I am satisfied with the DM shoulder mount and would recommend anyone to purchase it, but having said that I look forward to the next generation which I hope will take into account appearance as well as functionality.
Yes that's why i made my own and making the shoulder section wider.
I still have my gallery up if you want to take a look.
My_Ex3_Mount
I will need to update that with the finished, powder coated version...!

Evan
Evan Meades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:28 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Meades View Post
Yes that's why i made my own and making the shoulder section wider.
I still have my gallery up if you want to take a look.
My_Ex3_Mount
I will need to update that with the finished, powder coated version...!

Evan
Evan,

You've done a nice job on yours - especially with the welding/grinding! How long did it take to put together?
Old March 3rd, 2009, 04:52 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff DeMaagd View Post
Thanks for the info on Chrosziel, there are a couple people I should notify about this. I am considering the EX1, I think I can solve that problem.
The 85mm donut insert fits nicely on the front of the EX-1. Clearance at full wide at Z1.
Attached Thumbnails
EX-3/Tripod base Plate--DM Plate vs.VFGagets-p1000249.jpg  
Scott Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 07:33 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
Evan,

You've done a nice job on yours - especially with the welding/grinding! How long did it take to put together?
Thanks Ted.
Got a local 4wd shop to make it last year. Probably only took an hour but it was spread out over a few days and we tried a few things as we went. Worked out pretty good and I can easily hold it one hand with a counter balance on the end, just like a full size cam. Since those photos i have replaced the wedge and made a few mods.

The 2 biggest draw backs are;
1. the extra weight needed to counter balance, especially with the Sony WA adapter on. The Ex3's just so damn front weighted and also I like the viewfinder set forward too so it's away a bit from my face.
2. the extra length. Not so good in say ENG work but for corporate stuff it's fine.

I'll put some pics up of the powder coating when I get time!

Evan
Evan Meades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #29
Inner Circle

DM Accessories EX3 Mount in Black

My DM Accessories EX3 mount arrived today.... after I'd paid the Post Office an additional £27.02 (£19.02 VAT and £8.00 delivery/handling charge).

Looks very nice in the all black finish and easy to fit. Only thing I had to do was remove the 3 small "tube" washers from the shoulder pad screws to ensure the DM supplied screws fitted OK through the same shoulder pad holes - as with these (Sony) washers in place they do not seem long enough. Note that the 3 Sony screws that originally hold on the Sony shoulder pad are not re-used as pointed out in the otherwise excellent instructions.

I just went for the basic mount (i.e. no DM right-angled shoulder part on the end, it just re-uses the Sony Pad) and I'm very happy with it, it's simplicity yet rigidity and security. Very glad I waited for the black finish too!!!!

Nice one Jeff! Another happy customer!

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; March 17th, 2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: clarifying which one I bought
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #30
Trustee

Andy,

Yes, there does seem to be something dodgy about the way Royal Mail slaps on their delivery charges. I had the same problem, I can't understand why after having paid DM their delivery/shipping charge, why we should have to pay again for Royal Mail to deliver. I don't have to pay my postman to bring my letters to the door.

I have been using the DM shoulder mount for several weeks and yesterday I took the whole lot off. I can't get on with the shoulder mount section and will no doubt just purchase the rear section of the base plate only, but at $69.99 it does seem rather expensive for a metal plate.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds