EX-3/Tripod base Plate--DM Plate vs.VFGagets - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 30th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #46
New Boot

Need advice

I plan to do most of my filming on my tripod. I'm wondering if the I should get either the DM or the VFGaget with the shoulder mount so I can mount batteries as I want to be able to add a nano down the road. Does it make sense to go with the full shoulder version of one of these even though I don't plan to shoot off my tripod? Any balance considerations. I will be most likely adding a DOF adapter down the road as well.
Kyle Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #47
Regular Crew

I'm in a similar situation as yourself and recently purchased the DM plate with shoulder mount and AB battery mount. I cannot speak to the VFGadget product, but I'm very, very pleased with the DM plate. I do a bit of handheld shooting, just this past weekend I did a gig shooting skydiving material (fun!) and the shoulder mount worked well for me. I like the Anton Bauer battery mount because even with my camera locked down on sticks and on mains power, I've set it up with the AB Tandem charger and it makes my setup look more professional than if I was using the consumer-looking supplied Sony charger / AC adapter thing. And if I need to, I can just unplug the AC cord and go handheld. The Tandem charger with the Dionic battery make a nice counterweight.

Oh, and speaking of skydiving, one of the local videographers was chatting with me and mentioned that he was somehow involved in filming a commercial for Guitar Hero and they used an EX3 to shoot it *while freefalling*! zoinks!! I couldn't quite get what kind of a mounting scheme they used, but I can't imagine jumping with my EX3. (I asked if it was actually an EX1, but he said no, it was an EX3)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds