Jerky Zoom - Sony's reply: That is normal - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 12th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #76
Major Player

Stephen, what kind of mechanical wheel zoom device are you talking about? I am familiar with wireless solutions but these are out of the budget of most here.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 06:53 AM   #77
Regular Crew

Hallo
i have a 521ex Manfrotto controller, the EX1 has worked perfectly on EX1R is a disaster.I make zoom is like jumping into the frame.what can be done?
Thanks
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 09:27 AM   #78
Major Player

it was a mechanical rings setup. Will look for it
Old December 13th, 2010, 09:35 AM   #79
Major Player

I will check tonight mine (ex1r), but I am pretty sure I've noticed some jerkiness (?) when doing really slow zoom using the rotating grip switch

will report laters
Federico Perale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 10:35 AM   #80
Regular Crew

The zoom is jerky at speeds below 8 when the lens is pointed down. When level or pointed up it smooth even at low speeds.

At least that's how my ex1 behaves...
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #81
Major Player

I am a little confused

are you experiencing this issue with the main zoom switch (rotating handle) or with the top handle switch (small one) or both? I though you could only adjust the zoom speed for the top handle one
Old December 13th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #82
Major Player

Andrew, I still haven't found the unit, but it was a general purpose unit. I might be drooling about this, but I'm sure I saw that unit the other day. It's similar to the focus units with rails.

A quick suggestion I tried and sort of works with this lousy zoom:
I tried a trick from many years ago that worked with a Panasonic 460 cam we had. I needed some extreme slows, so used a hollow aluminum rod from a old discarded TV antenna (light, strong enough and free) and put it over the little handle on the zoom. Worked pretty well and gave me the more precise control I needed mechanically.

I just did the same with the little zoom knob on an EX1R and removed the screw and carefully crimped the 10-11" rod over the screw evenly. It's secure and does allow me some pretty slow moves.

A large double action wheel would work better, using the teeth on the zoom ring, but...haven't seen anyone make one yet. Any takers?
Old December 13th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #83
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico Perale View Post
I am a little confused

are you experiencing this issue with the main zoom switch (rotating handle) or with the top handle switch (small one) or both? I though you could only adjust the zoom speed for the top handle one
It's jerky no matter what rocker you use. It's just that the top handle one is preset to a constant speed and it's easy to be consistent when testing.

just try it for yourself, set the top handle speed below 8, point the camera down at an angle and it will be jerky.

I tested four different cameras, one old EX1, my EX1 from one of the last batches made, and two newer EX1r's. They all jerk when pointed down and they're all smooth when pointed up!

nothing's perfect...
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #84
Major Player

Let's just face it, we got jerked around on this one by Sony...
Old December 13th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #85
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoran Vincic View Post
It's jerky no matter what rocker you use. It's just that the top handle one is preset to a constant speed and it's easy to be consistent when testing.

just try it for yourself, set the top handle speed below 8, point the camera down at an angle and it will be jerky.

I tested four different cameras, one old EX1, my EX1 from one of the last batches made, and two newer EX1r's. They all jerk when pointed down and they're all smooth when pointed up!

nothing's perfect...
just tried what you suggested
I set the top handle speed (low) as 4 and it's absolutely perfect....no jerk at all!!
on the other hand, trying to do lower speed with the rotating handle rocker, it's terrible and really noticeable

so in my case it seems like I can survive....as I only have 50% of the problem

incidentally, I've noticed that for values lower than 8, the menu doesn't really use numbers anymore but alternates _ and * characters..... is this normal??
I even tried to use 1 and still works fine!
Old December 13th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #86
Inner Circle

I get the _ and * characters on my EX1R too. I think that's normal on the new model/firmware. Love the camera and workflow to bits. No regrets. Wouldn't switch if you paid me. I just finished editing a piece and used all digital zooms. The footage holds up great. I know it doesn't suffice for all cases.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #87
Trustee

It's hard for me to say this because I LOVE my EX1R....however, I had this problem and any speed below 13! I sent it back to Sony and they replaced the lens with a new one. (took about 3 weeks) The new lens is much better but can still stutter at 8 on occasion. (not too bad now)

The problem is the Fujinon lens motor/servo. It simply does not have the torque to smoothly rotate at slow speeds. I suspect Fujinon is paying the price for all these returned EX's

It's a shame cause the EX cameras are fantastic in every other aspect.

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 01:57 AM   #88
New Boot

Re: Jerky Zoom - Sony's reply: That is normal

Hello there,

As a crane and Jib operator I am very depended on a good zoom lens.
Working with the sony EX1 - EX3 has always been mayor troubles, first of all finding a good conversion cable is a challenge.
Besides that the zoom is never a perfect smooth motion, there is always a jitter, shock, or a bad start-stop.
Using a zoom in a crane movement is part of the motion, so most of my footage would end up useless.
But for all of you dealing with this problem, this is what I did. I got on of those feather touch zoom kits from camera turret company.
Broadcast and DSLR Lens Controls from CameraTurret Inc..
It comes with a 0.8m gear but on request you can get other pitches to match your fujinon or canon lens.
I've always got this little kit with me and I need to use it oftnen, it also gives me the ability to zoom on DSLR camera's.
It gives a really smooth zoom, better than the stock lens. The only thing that you need to make sure is that you can mount it on your 15mm rods.
For me this is the best solution for all those jerky zooms or when I do not have the right conversion cable for all those different lenses out there.
Especially on the Sony camera's

Hopefully this could be a solution for you to.

Joey
Joey Terwindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 02:16 AM   #89
Trustee

Re: Jerky Zoom - Sony's reply: That is normal

Thanks for sharing, Joey - awesome info, awesome device. :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds