Jerky Zoom - Sony's reply: That is normal - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 10th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #31
Inner Circle

When I first got my EX1 in December 2007 I had Jerky Zoom. Sony replaced the entire camera when I sent it in in February 2008. It's smooth down to #2 setting in the menu.

Many people had the same issue with EX1 and EX3 as well with stock lens. I think Sony found that the specs were too tight and that Fujinon was very much hit and miss in the manufacturing process so they changed their policy. I understand the EX1R doesn't allow a setting below 8 or something similar.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #32
Contributor

I have a Zoe controller that worked fine with my EX1. Upon using it with my new EX1R I find I have the "stuttering zoom" problem. Most prevalent with the Zoe set to half speed or less and half depression of the Zoe's rocker switch. Worse on zoom outs than zoom ins.

Carroll Lam
Carroll Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #33
Trustee

It may be possible to free up the stiction in the pinion and ring gear. With the cam powered OFF, put the zoom switch in the servo position, and work the zoom ring back and forth (gently) a few times so that it backdrives the pinion gear and servo motor.

Like Craig's, mine zooms smoothly all the way to about 2, I think.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 04:06 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Ouch!

Tom, I wouldn't do that...
Old December 16th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #35
Contributor

A Libec controller solved my problem. See the thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ml#post1461080

Carroll Lam
Carroll Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 09:07 AM   #36
Trustee

Okay, we just took delivery of our new EX3. Got it from B&H Photo. Used it yesterday for the first time (previously I had used a different EX3 at an old company I no longer work for). Anyway, I'm experiencing the jerky zoom problem. But here's what I'm experiencing...

1) I slowly.....I mean VERY slowly started zooming on my subject. (I don't think anyone could push the zoom control any slower than I did)
2) Sometimes the zoom would simply start zooming and would look great (just a slow creep) But other times nothing would happen, so I'd push a little more and then suddenly the zoom would jerk and zoom in real quickly and then slow to a crawl.

I'm guessing the problem is the switch? Is this the same problem the rest of you are having? I'm thinking of calling Sony. Any suggestions?

Thanks! :) (this is a great forum!)
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #37
Sponsor: Westside AV

Michael,

That is how the problem shows up. It is usually the same with a remote controller as well.

Make B&H take the camera back if it is brand new. And have them send you a new one.

If you send it to service it will take a while.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 05:41 AM   #38
Trustee

Thanks for the advice Olof. I'll call B&H this morning. (I'm crossing my fingers)
Old January 28th, 2010, 05:42 AM   #39
Trustee

So I want to do some testing before I send it off. Craig said there's a way you can set the zoom on the handle so that the zoom will slowly creep? Are those settings in the Menu somewhere? (sorry my camera's not in front of me)
Old January 28th, 2010, 07:50 AM   #40

Michael,

It is in the menu settings, under camera set. This is from the EX1R manual, but it is really similar for the EX3. I don't have the pdf for the EX3 handy.

Zoom Speed
Setting the zoom
speed
High
8 to 99 (70)
Set the speed of zooming to be executed when you press the
on-handle ZOOM button with the zoom speed switch set to
H.
Low
8 to 99 (30)
on-handle ZOOM button with the zoom speed switch set to L.
Remote
8 to 99 (50)
ZOOM button of the IR Remote Commander.
Note
If the infrared line from the Remote Commander is not
received properly, zooming may not operate smoothly.

You can set the old EX3's all the way to 1. My EX3 will work well from 2-99. 1 is pretty iffy.
Old January 28th, 2010, 08:18 AM   #41
Trustee

Okay, I just did some testing. I think I've determined the problem is a "gear lash" issue. It's only when I switch from zooming out to zooming in that there is a small jerk. For example:

If I zoom all the way out to start a shot, then at the appropriate time, I try to slowly start zooming in, almost every time there will be a slight jerk at the beginning of my zoom. But once I start zooming, it stays smooth for the duration of the zoom.

If on the other-hand I zoom all the way out and then zoom in just slightly – then when I slowly start zooming in there is no jerk.

I'm using a combination of the zoom on the hand grip and the zoom on top of the handle. I set the zoom on top of the handle to a very slow speed of 2 (thanks Olof!) and it works fine all the way through, from one end to the other. It's only when I switch from zooming out to zooming in that there is a slight jerk. I wonder if this is a problem with the large (more expensive) broadcast cameras as well? Dunno...

Can someone else verify that this is the same problem they have had with jerky zoom?
Old January 28th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #42
New Boot

Shame on Sony

I donīt understand why this issue is not big issue here in the forum.

For my cam i got a final answer from Sony "That is normal, no replacement". From my Dealer: Sorry we can not do anything.

Here is my last example for the jerky zoom. I used the main zoom handle.

I donīt think that this can be normal. But what can i do ? Buy a new one and hope it will be better

Yesterday i had my fingers on one EX1r and what happend, jep this one had the jerky zoom too. Not as bad as mine, but i can reproduce it with the main handle when i do slow zooms. So i believe that is really normal and you need a little bit luck if you buy a EX camera.

Sad story.
-Hanno
Attached Files
File Type: wmv Beispiel.wmv (3.89 MB, 175 views)
Hanno Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 10:32 AM   #43
Major Player

This is some good information. I was seriously shopping for an EX1R but after reading about all of this my purchase is going on the back burner until Sony gets this all straightened out. Thanks guys.
Tom Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 10:32 AM   #44

Hanno,

If that clip shows the best result you can get. I would take that camera back to my dealer for a replacement.

Mine are much smoother. I had Sony give me a new lens more than a year ago on my EX3 because of bad zooming. But it was actually better than that.

My dealer even gave me a loaner lens while Sony was checking my lens. I only had to send the lens not the camera to sony. It was an EX3 not an EX1.
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #45
Trustee

So can anyone confirm that their "jerky zoom" is when they switch from zooming all the way out, to a slow creep zooming in?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds