The thing I dislike MOST about my EX1... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 9th, 2009, 01:44 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Nickless View Post
OK - I'm going to cheat (and rant) a little.

Here's another thing I dislike most about the EX1 - in fact, about every video camera I've owned to date (I can't afford those interchangeable lenses and for my work I need a small camera anyway).

Sony along with all the other manufacturers fit lenses that have f-stop (iris) settings from about f1.9 to f16.

But these lenses are UNUSABLE from f8 to f16.
If you inadvertently set your iris to anything over f6.7, the image is soft to say the least.

So WHY do they all do this?
(What's the point - apart from conning the poor buyer / operator)?

Yeah, I think it's always been that way forever. I remember reading an ENG/EFP book back in college and they said that the sweet spot on most (if not all) lenses is like 2.4 - 5.6 . This is much the same with film/digital lenses having sweet spots in the f/8-f/11 range. Since video optics have to cover a much wide focal length range than film lenses that's where one of the compromises lie.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 01:48 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mee View Post
For me, it's the way the LCD is off level. When I flip it out, it is angled downwards somewhat. Despite my tripod being absolutly level, the image can look off level and I often find myself hunting for horizontal or vertical lines in shot to check my sanity.

Is it just my cam or is this common?

Peter
I think it's really common because a lot of my handheld shots have been slighty tilted and I SWEAR I had the darn horizontals level!

To compensate I use the overlay rule-of-third overlays.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 02:43 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mee View Post
For me, it's the way the LCD is off level. When I flip it out, it is angled downwards somewhat.Is it just my cam or is this common?
My Z1 does this too but I've stuck a small piece of self-adhesive velcro onto the screen which stops the screen opening so far and going past horizontal. The Z7 (I think) has a horizon level you can call up on screen - doesn't the Z1 have this?
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 02:48 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Nickless View Post
Sony along with all the other manufacturers fit lenses that have f-stop (iris) settings from about f1.9 to f16.But these lenses are UNUSABLE from f8 to f16.
Why do they do this? Because people that ignore the silent scream for ND still get correctly exposed footage, albeit soft. My VX2000 from years ago would film (only in auto, mind) at f/16. f/22 and even f/32 before the iris blades closed completely. It gave correct exposure, but diffraction robbed a lot of the sharpness.

I'm pretty sure the Canon XH range stop at f/9.5. Most cameras go to f/11, but f/16?

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 03:56 AM   #20
Inner Circle

The buttons on the barrel are too flush to find by tough. A little raised plastic dot in the middle would help. I liked the VX2000/Z1 button. If you want to use the Push-Auto focus button, you have to visually search for it. The same goes for the White Balance Push button.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #21
Regular Crew

One thing I would like to see is some kind of paint scheme on the audio buttons on the back so you could see in dim light where they are set--maybe some orange color in the recessed area.

I had one set incorrectly and spent too many seconds with no audio trying to figure out why I had no signal.

Also, I have disabled the zoom a few times by accidentally moving that switch on the bottom while hand holding.
Chip Curry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #22
Regular Crew

One of the things I dislike about my camera is that because of the redesign of the flip out monitor, I can now only work the camera from one side. At least with the Z1U I could leave the monitor fliped 1/2 way up or or set on top so I could work the camera from both sides.

Another thing that really bothers me is the amazingly bad output connectors and their placement with that cheesy plastic cover.

David Schmerin
David Schmerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #23
Regular Crew

The thing I dislike the most is the ergonomics. Unusable for handheld verite except for short bursts of shooting. Second is the lack of a switchable daylight/tungsten wb preset- I don't know how they messed that one up.
Andy Schocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I'll add another tick mark for the power button, sometimes when trying to turn off I slip it too far and put it into media mode or vise versa.

Also another tick for the output connectors. The zoom controller has to be titled in order to get to it. It's not terribly a pain but a nuisance at times.

I'll add one about the mic holder. Why did they stop supplying the rubber piece that helped keep most mics snug in the holder like way back in the PD150? Those few pieces of bubbly rubber don't hold most boom mics at all, like Senns ME6?, etc. I think the last camera to have it was the HVR-A1 HDV camera.

I love the camera though and wouldn't trade it to go back to tape based cameras for nothing.

Last edited by Ben Hogan; March 15th, 2009 at 09:18 PM. Reason: wanted to leave on a high note
Ben Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 02:29 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Well, I can see most EX1 weaknesses have been mentioned already in this thread. I'd only add the pathetic ND filter switch, which tends to stick in between positions (especially when trying to engage ND1 from ND0, and not miss the ND1 position).
Old March 16th, 2009, 06:41 AM   #26
Major Player

for me, rolling shutter, but it is something I will learn to live with given the
performance of this camera
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hayes View Post
for me, rolling shutter, but it is something I will learn to live with given the
This is something to live with for all new video cameras. At the very least, I'd like to see a "True 720p" crop mode that doesn't involve downsizing from 1080p. This would reduce artifacts, increase sharpness and even relieve roller shutter artifacts a bit in 720p mode.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #28
Inner Circle

There's a fundamental issue with 1/2" chips in such a small camera around power use and, more importantly, heat. CMOS uses less power and generates less heat. You either want 1/2" chips and live with rolling shutter or you can get a 1/3" CCD XDCAM EX camera like those now offered by JVC.

In other words this is more of a choice than a problem. It's either 1/2" CMOS or 1/3" CCD in cameras this small due to technical issues. The alternative if you must have 1/2" CCD is to get XDCAM F335 or F355.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hayes View Post
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #29
Major Player

small iris

regarding f11 to f16 softness. The smaller the chip, the more that is a problem. You will see a softer image when stopped down past around f9 in a 1/3" chip, around f11 on a 1/2" chip. It's optical physics.

use the ND wheel as much as possible keeping to around f4 to f8
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 03:49 AM   #30
Regular Crew

For my special needs (filming fireworks displays/pyrotechnics only):
  • no hard audio limiters - I need real full manual control
  • pre-record cache 3-10 seconds
  • possibility of moving iris wheel when I am in shot transition "execute" mode. Or at least: "transition execute on/off" button (not this 4x clicking thing from today)
And 1080/50p would let me forget the above mentioned 3 issues... ;)
Markus Klatt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds