Advice needed for picture quality testing - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 29th, 2009, 03:20 AM   #16
Inner Circle

SLS will increase visible noise. As the sensor is "on" for longer any noise it is producing will be allowed to accumulate for longer and thus become more visible.
Old March 29th, 2009, 04:35 AM   #17
New Boot

That's an important point to keep in mind,
Thanks Alisatair!
Enguerrand Bouillaguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 04:41 AM   #18
New Boot

By the way thanks Paul and Dave,
You're right and I know 1080p is cleary more detailed, so I guess i have to wait until I find a true HDTV monitor to test and watch footage.
Thank you guys for all our answers.
Enguerrand Bouillaguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
SLS will increase visible noise. As the sensor is "on" for longer any noise it is producing will be allowed to accumulate for longer and thus become more visible.
I am not sure this is right - noise is more visible when the ratio to clean signal is low- if the sensor is exposed for longer then the clean signal will be larger - the noise is pretty much a constant on the sensor - hence GAIN increases small clean signal (low light) AND the constant noise which then becomes visible.

So noise is a function of gain more than anything else
Matt San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt San View Post
I am not sure this is right - noise is more visible when the ratio to clean signal is low- if the sensor is exposed for longer then the clean signal will be larger - the noise is pretty much a constant on the sensor - hence GAIN increases small clean signal (low light) AND the constant noise which then becomes visible.

I'd have to disagree with you on this. Anybody who has ever shot a time exposure, for example, with a digital camera will start seeing noise and glowing "stuck" pixels as the length of time the sensor is exposed to light. So, my contention that SLS was one of the sources of his noise problems seems to make sense.....to me, anyway.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt San View Post

I think Alister is right. Assuming gain is unchanged, the same amount of light is needed to give a correctly exposed image whether normal or slow shutter is used. The difference is that with the longer accumulation time, the 'rate' at which that light needs to arrive is lower. Hence the greater sensitivity and, all other things being equal, the need to stop down as the SLS frames are increased. So the signal part of S/N is constant.

Assuming that noise accumulates over time, the longer the accumulation period, the more noise will be present. Constant signal and, with SLS, increasing noise suggests that the S/N will decrease.
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds