Redrock Micromatte and Ex3? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 5th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #1
Major Player

Redrock Micromatte and Ex3?

Is anyone using the Redrock Micromatte box on their Ex3? If so, aside from the required support rails, does the setup necessitate an adapter for use with the standard lens? The Redrock web site does not seem to provide that sort of info.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 03:03 AM   #2
Major Player

EX3 ...RR Mattebox ...

the standard lens provided with the camera will fit nicely to the RR Mattebox via rails. However, if you use a 35mm adapter ... you will need a way to fit the lens into the center of the donut. Snorkel up on the 35mm adapter may do the trick but cannot say. I know there is a solution out there but I don't have it yet.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Matte Box

Thank you for your input.
I am now considering several other Matte Box alternatives that may or may not present with the 35mm issue that you alluded to.
Old June 7th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #4
Major Player

Red Rock rocks!

I've been using the Red Rock mattebox for almost a year now with my EX3 and with the Letus Extreme. The swing away feature is a great bonus with the Letus, it has two small rails on the side for adjustment with various lenses as well as an inch or so up and down for centering the donut (in addition to the rails). Without the Letus is snugs right up against the microphone but works just fine.
I'm using Zacuto rails, heavy but solid.
The mattebox kit came with all the flags and donuts - a great value. Years ago I bought a well known German mattebox for my 600 and paid three times as much as the red rock, and all the options were....optional.
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 02:28 PM   #5
Major Player

Redrock

Hello and thank you for your response.
I had considered removing the Redrock from my list of possibles after reading several posts suggesting that their customer support was less than stellar. I have never actually seen the micromatte in person, having viewed photos only, but it does appear to be a good value considering the alternatives (Petrof, Chrosiel, Arri, etc.) and will again place it on the top of my list.
Old June 7th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #6
Major Player

It is a large beast though. Like bolting a VW Beetle onto your EX. Those German matteboxes are far lighter. Some less than 1/4 the weight.
Old June 7th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #7
Major Player

yes ... large ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. Williams View Post
It is a large beast though. Like bolting a VW Beetle onto your EX. Those German matteboxes are far lighter. Some less than 1/4 the weight.
It's large and I'd still buy it for the quality per price point. It will last for years and work on a number of cameras. It's still a beast !!!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #8
Trustee

We've been using the Red Rock Micromatte box (and microfilters) since January and we're pretty happy with it considering the price. We use it with both the Letus Ultimate and without. I don't like how their donuts don't fit any of our 35mm lenses, although it fits pretty close on the stock EX3 lens. The quality is really good considering the cost. But yes, it's very heavy. If I was going to do it again I'd buy a smaller/lighter mattebox. But that's assuming I had the money. Most of the light weight units are about twice the price.
Old June 8th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #9
Major Player

German Matte boxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. Williams View Post
Which German Matte Boxes were you alluding to?
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds