wedding advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 9th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #1
Trustee

wedding advice

This question is for wedding photographers using the Ex-1 and Ex-3.

Have you guys had problems with flash photography / rolling shutter artifacts and red contamination in the black suits of the bridal party?

If so, how have you dealt with it and have you had any complaints?

Also any suggestions if the client (in this the wedding photography company) wants SD?
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Yes, I do about 80 weddings a year and now done over 100 with my EX 1.

Yes, the rolling shutter and photgrapher flashes p*ss me off especially when the bride is getting ready and I want to slow the clips down to 50%, but honestly, never had one bride notice the rolling shutter effect at all. (most digital cameras these days have at least one pre flash so I think the average punter is mentally used to seeing double passes now).

Yes, also had the groom and his party appear in dark red suits when they should have been black, so had to spend some time in Edius setting up a colour correction filter to slightly shift the blacks to fix 90% of the problem.

Again, with all the weddings and dance concerts that we do, no one has ever commented negatively about either of these issues, even though I notice them all the time, so I don't spend time stressing over them now, worry more about the poor balance of the EX 1 with a light mounted on it stressing out my arms and back by the end of the reception!

Cheers,

Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #3
Major Player

The problems of the EX1 / 3 for wedding videography:

Flash Photography: At first I was very worried about this - but that is because I was comparing it to previous CCD based cameras. The client does not know how previous CCD based cameras used to film and the client will accept that in a wedding there will be flashes going on. I was also worried about slow-mo and flashes. Nowadays I actually find it as a nice effect when slow-mo is used and there are flashes going off. The multiple half frame effect actually produces a certain kind of movement which I actually like! Call me weird but that's what I'm experiencing - and I have never had anyone complaining of this flash problem

Red Contamination: this is bad! Even though I once had a groom whose dress became totally brown and didn't complain, I will not risk it again and I always have a 486 in my pocket ready to be screwed in. The groom might not say anything but just in case one of the mothers of the couple decides to wear something black - you'll be asking for trouble if you give her a brown dress in return - after spendin all that money on a well chosen balck dress. I rather prefer the relative light green tint of the 486 rather than a glaring brown dress. Do not risk......

HD / SD: Most of my clients are going for HD but I still give them SD for their relatives. They accept the fact that there is a difference between HD and SD quality. For those who order just SD, I explain to them that viewing SD material on a flat screen will always result in a reduction in quality (which is true) as opposed to seeing the SD dvd on a CRT TV (which are now almost obsolete). Some of my clients are happy with this - either because of budget constraints of because they simply could not appreciate the difference in quality. I previously thought that this might be a big issue, but it did not materialise like so...luckily.

The negative points on the EX3 (because this is what I use) are:

1)wish that it is a proper shoulder mount camera

2)wish that for the money spent on this camera, Sony should have given us much better audio. I hate the audio limiter....
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds