PL-U95 - Has anybody tried this battery? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 15th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #16
Major Player

Here's an image of the GripFun PL-U95 battery Bob is referring to...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_3RdPHThuWW...320/PL-U95.jpg

As mentioned, it is a lot longer than the Swit but this could be an advantage to some needing to throw weight off the back of the camera for balance and stability.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #17
Trustee

Post #4 in this thread I have a picture of it mounted in my EX1. That'll probably give you a better idea of how much it'll protrude from the camera. Even though I measured the distance with a ruler before I bought the battery it still came as a bit of surprise once I put the battery in the camera.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #18
Major Player

The only place the GripFun PL-U95 battery seems to be available in the states is from one vendor on Ebay.

Has anyone seen them available from a legitimate vendor in the US?

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 09:29 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I have just used the PL-U95 on a feature project and found it to be very reliable.

Yes, it's long, but the length and weight was helpful.

I usually went a full day and got around 7 hours most of the time.

I purchased it off the eBay dealer and have no complaints.

After almost 3 months of use, a satisfied customer.
Mark Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2010, 03:03 PM   #20
New Boot

Hi sorry for dredging this thread up but I have just bought one of these batteries and was wondering at what level does the battery usually stop functioning.
The reason I ask is that it does not show in the time remaining like the U-60 battery does.
Greg Charest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #21
Sponsor: Westside AV

I use a couple of the SWits to power the EX1R and NanoFlash. I have had them for about a year now, and no real problems. I get at least 4 hrs of constant on and 90% recording time with NF and camera.

The led lights on the battery don't mean much. I use the voltage indicated in the camera to judge how much charge is left.

I usually switch when the indicator hits 12volts.

I have had a few occasions (2 or 3) when the EX1R will not run with this battery, even when fully charged. I just put it back on the charger and then after a while back on the camera, and then for some reason it will work fine, this is on one out of 3 batteries. It is a little disconcerting but mostly they have been trouble free. I have never had a Sony or IDX battery do this. So I do think you get what you pay for. The next time this happens I will see if I can return the battery for a replacement, when it is in this state.
Old August 8th, 2010, 08:07 AM   #22
Major Player

The reason I ask is that it does not show in the time remaining like the U-60 battery does.
====================================================================

Actually the specs for the Sunpow battery indicated that it is supposed to show remaining time on the LCD screen of the EX1.

The remaining capacity of the battery is displayed on the LCD monitor and viewfinder when the camcorder is powered on.
GripFun PL-U95 battery for Sony PMW-EX1 | Editsuite.com

The battery is no longer shown on the Sunpow website however:

Sony professional camcorder batteries, broadcast camcorder batteries

It's possible that the eBay vendor is selling old batteries.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #23
New Boot

Like the post before last said the indicator only shows in voltage, not time remaining. As far as I know it has never ever been able to communicate time remaining like a Sony cell does.
Something about Sony not wanting other people making cheaper replacement parts might have something to do with that I'm guessing.
Like Epson's ink cartridges saying ink was low when there was 20 percent left in the tank. People got tired of that and started coming up with solutions to bypass that.
Greg Charest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #24
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
I have had a few occasions (2 or 3) when the EX1R will not run with this battery, even when fully charged. I just put it back on the charger and then after a while back on the camera, and then for some reason it will work fine, this is on one out of 3 batteries. It is a little disconcerting but mostly they have been trouble free.
Olof, what you are describing is the overcurrent circuit breaker inside the battery trips. If you do not overload it by connecting too many devices all at once or using a bad shorted cable, it should not happen. Contact me privately, I will help in replacing the battery.
http://www.dolgin.net

Last edited by Alex Dolgin; August 8th, 2010 at 03:53 PM.
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #25
Sponsor: Westside AV

Alex, that makes sense.

It has happened when my NanoFlash and EXcam are both connected to the battery, and I turn them both on at the same time. I am pretty sure this is when it has happened.

I did think about that the last time it happened, in Arkansas and it was very hot. The battery was hot too, right off the charger. Normally I don't think the NF uses much power, but maybe being very hot both the EX1R and the NF use more power and add to that the fact that the battery is hot too.

The other times it has happened is in the heat in FL and SC I think. So it may be heat related too.

The battery seems fine now in NH, hot here is 85, usually that is.
Old August 8th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #26
Contributor

It might be that the ambient temperature played its role. But most likely it is so called "inrush" current that goes in on turn on. You said you turned on both at the same time, increasing the chance of that. Try to give it a few seconds in between.
Regards
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds