Overcrank with SxS then copy to MxR at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 6th, 2009, 08:10 AM   #1
New Boot

Overcrank with SxS then copy to MxR

I haven't been reading too many posting over here lately so maybe this has been already discussed. Lately I have been shooting a lot of overcranked (60fps) footage and run into a problem that my two SxS cards have been filled up very fast. If you don't have your computer next to you, you can always copy that material from your SxS card to MxR and format the SxS card and use it again. Slow, but still very usable way when your computer is not available.

Anyway, I wanted to ask has anyone lost footage by using this method?
Thomas Alexander Mikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #2
Major Player

I haven't tried this but its a real great idea! I shoot in some remote places and don't have a computer with me. This would work well in my situations. How do you copy from one to the other? Can it be done in camera?
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

@ Paul

Yes it can be done in the camera, if you go into thumbnail mode and select a clip, push the scroll wheel, or the joystick, it will open a small menu, where you can expand clip, delete clip, copy clip etc.

select copy clip, the cam will ask you:COPY CLIP FROM A TO B? or B to A?
you press execute and bobs your uncle.
Larger clips....... and slomo´s tend to be a bit larger............. take a bit of time, so do it when you have a break and won´t miss anything while you copy.

I´m also very keen to know if anyone else is copying SQ motion clips to SD cards successfully.
Kenny Cowburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cowburn View Post
I´m also very keen to know if anyone else is copying SQ motion clips to SD cards successfully.
Why not? Once on the SxS card, they're all just files. Data rate inside them is not important.
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:33 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cowburn View Post
Yes it can be done in the camera, if you go into thumbnail mode and select a clip, push the scroll wheel, or the joystick, it will open a small menu, where you can expand clip, delete clip, copy clip etc.

select copy clip, the cam will ask you:COPY CLIP FROM A TO B? or B to A?
you press execute and bobs your uncle.
Larger clips....... and slomo´s tend to be a bit larger............. take a bit of time, so do it when you have a break and won´t miss anything while you copy.

Thanks Kenny! I'm going to definitely try this. Great tip!
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds