Too cheap (?) EX3 on Ebay at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 10th, 2009, 04:34 AM   #1
Major Player

Too cheap (?) EX3 on Ebay

Very cheap EX3 on Ebay

What do you guys think of this? An almost new EX3 on Ebay which the seller is willing to trade for only $2500 including to SXS cards. For me this is a too good to be true offer but the seller has a 100% 269 points feedback score. From europe I just don't dare to give it a try. But maybe there somebody more nearby? Probably the seller received it as an inheritance and doesn't know what's worth it.
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi mate.

I just sent him an email 9.10 PM Australian time and he replied to me within 5 minutes.

Told me he's in debt to his bank and needs money fast.

I asked for his address and telephone number so I may ask him a few questions about the camera.

He replied with.......

"I'm really sorry for this situation, but i've been through a neck surgery last week. Speaking is still a problem for me, so i hope we can talk over e-mail. Sorry for this inconvenience, probably you understand me.

Sounds very fishy
Chris Amana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 05:44 AM   #3
Inner Circle

This does sound fishy indeed.

On the other hand, I've been through 2 neck spine surgeries myself, so if the guy is saying the truth, I understand his problem with speaking...
Old July 10th, 2009, 05:49 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I have since also asked if relatives of mine in the US can inspect the camera at his earliest convenience to which he replied ....

Don't worry, my auction is 7 days money back guarantee (if it's not like we
agreed, or broken you will receive the money back). I can ship in 2-3
calendar days. Please give me your info so I can contact eBay to start the
transaction. Thanks, Joe.

what do you think guys ? *cough*
Old July 10th, 2009, 06:04 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Stolen?!? Have heard about similar excuses earlier on eBay. I wouldn't give it a try.
Juergen Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #6
New Boot

Another thing to know is how does he want to get paid? A friend of mine did something rahter foolish a couple years back when buying a camera a sent money via Western Union to some guy in Italy. The $2500 camera was never received and the guy who also had good E-bay feedback disappeared.

Apparently people open accounts and then sell small items to get good feedback. Then they use the account for a big item such as this. Don't know if that is true, but that is what E-bay told him. Doesn't sound like that in this case though if he has that many transations.

You could also ask him for the serial number. If it was stolen I doubt he would send it.

Or just go with the old saying - If it sounds too good to be true...

Alan
Alan Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 06:38 AM   #7
Major Player

The advertisement says the guy accepts PayPal and the full price should be covered by ebay's buyer protection. Who is willing to give it a try?
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

"This listing (300329001013) has been removed, or this item is not available."

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:08 AM   #9
Major Player

Great, issue solved. I don't think there will be anybody who now has an almost new EX3 in hands for 2500 bucks....

Topic can be locked or either deleted! ;)
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #10
Regular Crew

i cheekily sent him another email asking for a discount.

He asked me to send him my best offer lol

jesus some ppl never give up
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:36 AM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Kennedy View Post
Or just go with the old saying - If it sounds too good to be true...
That is definitely the way to go. Stop wasting your time chasing the elusive "free lunch"....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:40 AM   #12
Trustee

There's been ex demo EX1s on offer at around half what I paid for mine and this is from an authorised Sony dealer. Times are tough especially for businesses holding a lot of inventory. If you want a camera, have the money and are prepared to do a bit of arm twisting there's good deals to be had without getting involved in dodgy propositions on eBay.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #13
Regular Crew

well there's absolutely no doubt in my mind now.

Just offered him 4k US C.O.D and he declined saying the bank wont give him more than 2 days so needs a fast transaction.
Old July 10th, 2009, 08:31 AM   #14
Major Player

I know it's hard to pass up on the deals, but they are always a scam. The scammer is an idiot for going too low. If they put this up at $4k min, it sounds plausible at least. Cameras and laptops are the biggest scam articles.
You can contact ebay or paypal (same company) and check if they will hold payment in escrow for one month or until you receive the goods and give the thumbs up.
If its thumbs down and a scam, you get your money back. This is common method now as a safeguard. I sold a Mac Pro and had to wait two weeks until my customer gave the OK to release payment.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #15
Major Player

Highjacked account

This is a scam. The person who is supposedly selling the EX3 has highjacked the account of a legitimate Ebay user and is using their identity. This leads innocent people to believe they are buying from a seller with good feedback, etc. When the victim sends the money no EX3 will ever be sent.
John Dewey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds