EX1 Shoulder mount? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 6th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 Shoulder mount?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a shoulder mount for the EX1?

Thank you!
NIck
Nick Schale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I'm taking a serious look at this. It from Doug Jensen who has an excellent introduction DVD and printed Field Guides for EX1 and EX3.

Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training
I can't help but think he may be right about the other's being gimmicky (problematic).
I'm not keen on the rest on my belly hold my breath kind.
I don't like shoulder plus two hand old types. I want a hand free for camera adjustments.
Anton Bauer has one that looks interesting but people have issues with it's "unique" "links" design.

My concern about Doug's is balance and the possible need to use counter weights. Also the shoulder padding looks very thin and I'm concern how that feels. His other stuff is available at B&H (which is local to me) but apparently not the shoulder mount. Shoulder mounts are such a feel/fit think IMHO that I'd really like to try it.

My hope is that he'd explain that in more detail. He's on this forum so maybe he'll talk up his shoulder mount here.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Im not a huge fan of how that looks... and how it looks like it will 'feel'

Not to say it isnt a great piece of hardware.

Dose Redrock make anything that would work? Anyone tried that?
Old July 6th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Schale View Post
Im not a huge fan of how that looks... and how it looks like it will 'feel'
Not to say it isnt a great piece of hardware.
Dose Redrock make anything that would work? Anyone tried that?
Redrock microShoulderMount
and
http://www.redrockmicro.com/cartpics...ie_0084_lg.jpg
and
http://www.redrockmicro.com/cartpics...ie_0106_lg.jpg
It's two handed. It seems the hands need to handle the weight and I'm not sure about the counterweight.

This is really why I want to TRY and get feel first.
Old July 6th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #5
Inner Circle

RedRock demo video
Redrock microShoulderMount Overview
and tutorial video
Redrock microShouldermount Tutorial on Vimeo
Old July 6th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Yup that was what i am looking for... Strongly considering buying this model!
Thanks guys!
Old July 6th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I wonder if we can get user reports of either. While it would be biased, I'd love to hear Doug Jensen's sales pitch comparison. I really wish I could try both. The end result is that I delay my purchase in a quandary.

BTW B&H and AbelCine carry neither.
Old July 6th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Nick
Found this the other day and while the Redrock this looks very interesting

http://www.vimeo.com/2369538areth

And the guy presenting it funny too...LOL
Regards
Gareth
Old July 6th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
I wonder if we can get user reports of either. While it would be biased, I'd love to hear Doug Jensen's sales pitch comparison. I really wish I could try both. The end result is that I delay my purchase in a quandary.

If you were going to use something like the Hoodman HoodLoupe 3.0 - HoodLoupe 3.0-Hoodman Corporation (they are actually coming out with an adaptor that fits the 3.5 LCD screen) which I have gotten used to for excellent focusing it doesn't look like the Vortex Media VSB1 would allow you to have your face up close enough to use this accessory - looks like it is all geared around the viewfinder and not close viewing (like 2" away) of the LCD screen. Using the Hoodman Wrist Shot - WristShot® Camcorder Support System-Hoodman Corporation and the Hood Loupe I was able to keep the camera going for some fairly long shots - it is not as stable as a shoulder mount would be but much better than totally hand held and frees your left hand up for manual adjustments of the camera.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Personally I haven't come across anything better than the zacuto system. Pricey but lifetime warranty and camera agnostic. The anton bauer. If you're rolling on a shot with audio and you leave the links loose for mobility they will make noise as you move the camera. Its made of plastic, the locking system is unwieldy, the chest brace tends to lose shape also through a long shoot and you have to reset it. But it looks cool. Not a fan of anything that can't be taken off the shoulder quickly to compose a shot off the shoulder.
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #11
Sponsor: Westside AV

Check this link:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
This is one of the configurations I have for my EX3.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #12
Tourist

I run the Red Rock shoulder mount with my EX1 and I like it a lot. I had to add an additional micro shoulder mount rod clamp to get the LCD far enough away from my eyes to focus (trifocals). The rig feels very much like a traditional ENG full size camera.

The Red Rock bits and pieces allow you to configure a multitude of camera supports. Using a micro shoulder mount rod clamp, two 4" rods, two 8" grip rods and two hand grips you have a very passable Figg Rig copy that breaks down very easily.

I like my system a lot. Your mileage may vary.

Best,

Mike
Michael Rigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Vortex Shoulder Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post

Craig,

I Imported this little gem to Australia. Resting place, garage machine-shop, scrap metal bin. The quality duralumin, handy for future projects no doubt ....

Ron.
Ron Coker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #14
Major Player

LOVE my redrock - I use it with the bare camera as well as the M2e adapter.
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #15
Regular Crew

must have posted this in another thread but here goes again because I am so pleased with simplicity that works incredibly well. The DM shoulder mount - prefer to something like Vortex because of the fact it strengthens the camera mount, a quick release onto a tiffen steadistick which cost $99. I have now shot two sessions of at least five hours and this almost sixty year old bod suffered zero fatigue. It is so steady that the only thing that screwed my first shoot was having steady shot on and my pans were tripod like smooth and so the picture is grabby. More pictures in "not so cheapo" thread
Attached Thumbnails
EX1 Shoulder mount?-ex3-steadystick-3.jpg  

Last edited by David Herman; July 7th, 2009 at 01:37 AM. Reason: to add info about other thread
David Herman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds