EX1 Shoulder mount? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 7th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #16
Major Player

I have something similar to David's steadistick solution, it's the DVRig Pro DvRigPro./ DvRigPro HD. It's a bit more massive, volume-wise, some of the other solutions here, but I have a quick release for my tripod plate for my EX1 on it, and I have my Manfrotto 521ex remote lens control on the right handle, so I can zoom, start and stop with and hold it up with my right hand, while focusing, exposure, etc with my left, or keep my left hand on the left handle to support it more. The thing that is a bit unique about it is a spring-loaded shock absorber rod that fits in the bottom of the DVRig Pro and into a belt. It takes a lot of load off the arms so the are mostly guiding, rather than supporting the rig and EX. The spring-loading almost makes a steadicam smoothness when walking. The shoulder piece has a spot for a big battery.

With the quick release plate I can quickly take the EX1 off it and put it on the tripod. It's like the Zacuto (of course lower-end) with the addition of the shock absorber.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moreau View Post
With the quick release plate I can quickly take the EX1 off it and put it on the tripod. It's like the Zacuto (of course lower-end) with the addition of the shock absorber.
Hi Keith,

Where do you see a quick release for the EX1 on the Zacuto site to move the EX1 between the Zacuto baseplate and the tripod. I haven't seen this.
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Allen View Post
Hi Keith,

Where do you see a quick release for the EX1 on the Zacuto site to move the EX1 between the Zacuto baseplate and the tripod. I haven't seen this.
Max, I don't have a Zacuto but I have a Manfrotto quick release base receptacle mounted on my DVRig that matches my Manfrotto tripod. I imagine you could attached the same setup to your Zacuto. What I meant about the Zacuto is that the DVRig is basically a somewhat modular framework with handles and such, like a Zacuto, but with the addition of the shock-absorber pod.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Ah OK thanks. Won't work for me I use a Sachtler head with the snap-in dovetail system. I just mount the entire zacuto rig on the head. Would be nice to find a sachtler friendly quick release that'll go between the zacuto and EX.
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
I'm taking a serious look at this. It from Doug Jensen who has an excellent introduction DVD and printed Field Guides for EX1 and EX3.

Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training

My concern about Doug's is balance and the possible need to use counter weights. Also the shoulder padding looks very thin and I'm concern how that feels.
I have the Vortex shoulder mount. It's a useful design, but I would have preferred the metal chassis to be twice as thick to reduce oscillation. I added my own clamp and plate as the supplied 1/4" screws did not prevent twisting. You need to add counterweights for cameras such as the EX1, so the rear compartment is generally occupied by those. The EX1 rotation handle screams for a wider design to accomodate larger hands. Overall, it works.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds