Sony EX1 Media Restore! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 12th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Savage View Post
I get the "Restore Media" message after I have offloaded the cards to a drive. Usually I will restore before Deleting All clips off the card.
That may happen depending on how you copy the files. I use ClipBrowser (always CRC ON) and that never happens. It is possible when using Finder (drag and drop or deleting clips) the OS writes and invisible file to the card (another reason never to drag and drop IMHO). The camera sees the "alien" file and sees it as a metadata issue and thus, "Restore Media."

I only delete clips in ClipBrowser or from the camera menu.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #17
Major Player

I thought I would share this with you all.

Here are the results of the overcrank test I have just performed on the cards.

First Card - Transcend.

20 sec at 40fps 720/25p
20 sec at 38fps
22 sec at 36fps
24 sec at 34fps
22 sec at 32fps
29 sec at 30fps
over a minute at 28fps.

Second Card - Transcend.

24 sec at 40 fps
21 sec at 36 fps
over a minute at 32 ending with media error on pause!

Third Card - Transcend.

24 sec at 40 fps
27 sec at 36 fps
26 sec at 32 fps
over a minute at 28fps

Forth Card - Sandisk.

Over 2 min at 40fps - no error
over a minute at 44 fps - no error
over a minute at 48 fps - no error
1.08 at 50 fps - Media error.

Cheers.
John De Rienzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
If they all were new cards, that sounds like a bad batch problem to me. If they are cards you have used successfully in the past..... I just don't know!
After seeing those figures, looks even more like a bad batch problem. Can you confirm they were all brand new cards, that you hadn't been using them successfully in the past?
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #19
Major Player

Well, those test results are indeed revealing and explain why you are having problems. If the SDHC card cannot support 48fps at 1080/24p or 25p then it simply does not have the headroom to manage the data burst as the camera writes its cache to the memory card. This has been thoroughly debated on that very lengthy thread concerning SDHC memory cards.

It is also worth noting that SxS cards also need some time, when the red light is on after stopping the record process -- while the camera writes out its cache to storage. This latter characteristic is just the way the EX camera works regardless of how fast your storage card/medium is.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds