XDCAM EX to Blu-ray using FCP7? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 1st, 2009, 12:44 AM   #16
Trustee

Yes, I do it all the time.

For a pc user, you use Sony clip browser to export the mp4 as mxf. Vegas Pro smart renders the mxf, encoding only a few frames on either side of the edit points, or any clips that you've color graded. Once your editing is finished, Vegas Pro smart renders the output using the Sony MXF encoder. Next, strip away the mxf wrapper from the mpeg-2, author it to BDMV and burn to disk.

Of course, if you just want the clip to go straight from the cam to blu-ray disk, you can skip the Vegas Pro steps. Just use Clip Browser to export the mp4 to mxf, then remove the mxf wrapper. I use the Snell and Wilcox MXF desktop for this.

This subject has been covered many times.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 11:09 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
I use the Snell and Wilcox MXF desktop for this.
Then you are lucky. Searching the web shows no link to find this product. Any past links to it now go to a page proudly telling that Snell & Wilcox has merged with another company.

So, for the rest of us, how would we remove the MXF wrapper?

I even searched the web for the file structure of the MXF wrapper, so I could write my own software to remove the wrapper. No luck their either. I would have to buy an unspecified CD, or CDs, from SMPTE, but their web site does not say which one(s). So much for setting standards you only want industry insiders to know.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 11:47 PM   #18
Trustee

Sorry about that. I think you can still request the file from Amber Fin. PM me and I'll try and help get you pointed to this program.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Stanislav View Post
Then you are lucky. Searching the web shows no link to find this product. Any past links to it now go to a page proudly telling that Snell & Wilcox has merged with another company.

So, for the rest of us, how would we remove the MXF wrapper?

I even searched the web for the file structure of the MXF wrapper, so I could write my own software to remove the wrapper. No luck their either. I would have to buy an unspecified CD, or CDs, from SMPTE, but their web site does not say which one(s). So much for setting standards you only want industry insiders to know.
Also for those of us Using FCP7 how might we do this on a MAC?
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #20
Trustee

For what it's worth, I seem to have found the current SMPTE MXF file format specification if anybody has too much money and wants to write his own application. I, however, will pass at this time.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 11:44 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Try Matrox CompressHD in Compressor. BLAZING FAST and has Blu-ray presets. My encodes are a bit faster than real time...BTW it's a professional tool with professional results...
Thanks for the report on the Matrox card Craig. I have been looking at this card for a while but wondering how "professional" it is and if it lives up to its claims. I render out long form video every week from HD material. Now if there is a solution to speed up the timeline render I would be pleased as punch. Nothing like having your primary workstation tied up for 6 hours while the timeline is being rendered.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #22
New Boot

Thanks all for further information I'll keep chipping away at this until I get it to work on my Mac!!! Just spent 12 hours rendering a 2 hour programme and, although I get a beautiful result through Compressor as AVC, it drives me mad. I can't sleep properly knowing its rendering - sad but true!
Peter Axford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I have the CompressHD card an am loving it. Great for Blu-ray and web encoding. Makes great Vimeo and YouTube videos. Cranks them out in real time give or take. A couple of times I've upped the data rate to make a video look a little better but for the most part the default settings work fine.

Forrest
Forrest Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Axford View Post
Thanks all for further information I'll keep chipping away at this until I get it to work on my Mac!!! Just spent 12 hours rendering a 2 hour programme and, although I get a beautiful result through Compressor as AVC, it drives me mad. I can't sleep properly knowing its rendering - sad but true!
For all the wonderful things that can be done on the MAC not in dispute, using the pc and vegas to smart render XDCAM footage going straight to BD is hugely satisfying and to see what the native XDCAM XQ 35 mbps looks like unmollested.

If I was a MAC user, it's compelling enough to get a PC and Vegas just for that benefit. What a timesaver.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds