EX1 shooting mode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 12th, 2009, 04:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 shooting mode

hi,

I just wanted to ask in which mode you are generally shooting ? My final result is mostly dvd and most people want fluid motion so I am hesitating between 1080 50i and 720 50p and reinterlacing in post after editing. Also what shutter speed are you mostly using at your shooting mode ?
I am generally used to use shutter 50 but the EX1 doesn't allow shutter 50 in 50i or 50p, only 60, 100 and up.

Thanks in advance,
David Arendt
David Arendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 06:10 AM   #2
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Arendt View Post
the EX1 doesn't allow shutter 50 in 50i or 50p, only 60, 100 and up.
If you want a shutter speed of 1/50th in 50i or 50P, just turn the shutter switch off.
When the shutter is off, it equals the frame rate.
Old August 12th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #3
Major Player

Like you, my final format is DVD sales. Unlike television broadcast, blu-ray DVD players and HD TVs display a true 1080p image, I therefore always shoot 1080p.

HOWEVER, I edit in Adobe Premiere CS4 with Matrox Axio hardware. Matrox does not allow for 1080p @ 29.97 editing, but does allow for 1080p @ 23.98 editing . . . so I therefore shoot 1080p @ 23.98 with my EX-3, so as to be consistent. And I never have to render. It is pure 1080p @ 23.98 throughout the entire shooting and editing processes.

My regular DVDs look spectacular ... and the blu-rays even more so.

Good luck . . .
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #4
New Boot

Compression to DVD workflow

My regular DVDs look spectacular ... and the blu-rays even more so.

Good luck . . .[/QUOTE]

You were saying that your DVD's look very good. I recently bought an EX1 and love the whole workflow. The only end of the workflow I am unfamiliar/nervous about is taking the project to DVD. Can you shed some light on the best way to get your project to a DVD without completely ruining the quality of your footage? I have had trouble with serious quality loss in the past and was hoping to fix this now that I am freelancing and my clients usually want the finished piece on DVD. I shoot mostly in 1080p 24p and edit in Final Cut Pro. Thanks!
Zach Salsman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds