Need advice for new EX1 + Accessories - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 24th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
Perrone: If you're shooting a lot of two-camera stuff, forget the EX3, you should look at the PluralEyes application from Sigular Software. ($149) I saw their booth at NAB this year and it's really amazing! You can literally have multiple camera start/stop recording a scene, drop them into your time line, run PluralEyes (a plug-in) and zap, in about 5 seconds everything is synced up. The only catch is that every camera needs to be recording audio. But it doesn't have to be great quality audio. Singular Software This application saves me a TON of time editing multi-camera projects.
Cool, I'll check it out! I shoot wild audio at every camera, so that's no problem.
Old August 24th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Cool, I'll check it out! I shoot wild audio at every camera, so that's no problem.
Don't fall for it, this is a trick to get you over to the dark side. Plural eyes is a FCP plugin.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian luce View Post
don't fall for it, this is a trick to get you over to the dark side. Plural eyes is a fcp plugin.
oh snap! Neveeerrrrrr!
Old August 24th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
Gareth, for fill lighting, I was thinking mainly about outdoors and in being in the shadow. The dynamic range isn't close to still cameras so I was thinking that an on-camera light for interviews should help. I think part of it is my still photography experience that makes me hate seeing blown highlights and trying to avoid them.

I was looking at the Litepanels MicroPro LED as its light, uses little power and priced well.

Back to audio: do I need a field recorder for events & interviews or can I get by without one? When we start producing commercials, I am thinking we should have one but that won't be for 3+ months.
I've found the biggest problem with lights in daylight is getting them bright enough to make a real difference...
I have used a Lastolite reflector regularly though and it is far cheaper and gives far more effective fill for daylight interviews IMHO than a camera light.

Re: audio... I've no experience with field recorders, but I often use an SD field mixer for mulitple mic situations. The SD302 is a brillant piece of kit, gives better audio, has better amps and better limiters than the camera...

Regards
Gareth
Old August 24th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #35
Trustee

Gareth, thanks again. Yet another still photography technique escapes me - using a reflector. This is a great idea and rather cheap, too.

Perrone, I take it that Dark Side=Apple. I love it. So, then Steve Jobs=? I, too, will never join the Dark Side :)

I am putting together my purchase list and here is what I have now:

-EX1
-1 U60 battery
-2 of each e-LCR + 32GB SD
-EW100 G3 Wireless ENG Kit: includes Seins G3 wireless, Lav mic, Pro ENG Mic, hard case and a few other items - From B&H for $1k
-Rode NTG-2
-Cartoni SPD2 STATUS Pro Tripod + Head($1100) or Miller SOLO DV10 Tripod w/DS-10 Head($1250)

-Hoodman H-400 LCD hood
-Hoodman WristShot

What is recommended for a hard case to hold EX1 + extras in the range of $200-350?
EDIT: Sony LCEX1AME Ameripack Hard Transit Case looks really nice and is made for the EX1.

Do I need a test chart thing to white balance the camera?

Do I need any other cables or accessories? (besides a monopod and reflector)

Last edited by Steve Kalle; August 24th, 2009 at 07:11 PM.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
-Hoodman H-400 LCD hood
-Hoodman WristShot
I think you might want to reconsider buying the HoodLoupe 3.0 with attaching strap when the new HoodRiser attachment is released (sometime in the next two weeks) that adapts it to a 3.5" LCD screen. This will convert the LCD into a viewfinder similar to the EX3 - I even use it indoors since the diopter adjustment on the lenses allows me to look at the screen from a very close distance.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post

5. Bag. I bought a softbag for my last cam. It was ALL hardcase this time. Portabrace. Every time I had to step away from my old cam in a bag I was nervous. Any time someone else had to handle it, I was nervous. I swore never again. My hard case is heavier, but rolls. I can't begin to say how nice that is.
Perrone - I sent you a message but not sure that works on this board? Could you tell me - what portabrace bag are you using, exactly? I have a kata backpack that's okay but I've been thinking of getting something a bit easier to manage when I'm not traveling or needing to take my gear somewhere off the beaten path...
Ryan Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds