Need Quick Advice for EX1 Order at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 1st, 2009, 06:57 PM   #1
Trustee

Need Quick Advice for EX1 Order

So far, this is the list of gear I plan on purchasing. The total must stay under $10k and I plan on making the purchase within a week; so, I could use some help finishing the list.

1 - EX1
1 - U60 battery
1 - Hoodman WristShot
1 - Hoodman H-400 Hood
1 - Sony LCEX1AME Ameripack Hard Transit Case(designed for EX1)

I am unsure about the gear below.

2 - eLCR
2 - 16GB(Transcend) + 1 - 32GB(Sandisk)

There are 2 different Transcend 16GB cards and I want to make sure I get ones that work. I can't find any info on actual model #s that work so could someone help.

-Cartoni SPD2 STATUS Pro Tripod + Head($1100) or Miller SOLO DV10 Tripod w/DS-10 Head($1250)

- Rode NTG-2 kit: includes SM3 Shock Mount & 1.5' Right-angle XLR. Do I need anything else? What about their green $40 Dead Cat vs their $100 WS6?

Wireless microphone setup will be in a separate thread.

Do I need any additional parts, cables,...?

THANKS!!! Some of you have already helped me quite a bit and I can't thank you enough.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Personally, I wouldn't want to use either of those tripods. Spend a little more and get at least a Sachtler FSB-6. That would be the lowest end tripod I think you could get away with for professional shooting. A lot people don't recognize how important a good tripod is and how much they cost. My O'Connor system was over $8K but it is rock solid and silky smooth. A good tripod/head is something that will serve you for 20 years, no matter what camera you are using at the time.

A 77mm UV or clear filter for the lens would be a good idea. Make sure it is a "slim" filter or the hood won't fit over it.

If you're going to go the SD card route, I'd spend the extra money for Hoodman cards.

And, of course, a good training DVD or Field Guide is mandatory.
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

B+W 486 ir filter :-)
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 05:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The Cartoni's and Vintens do not have enough drag for me. This is from using the Delta all the way to the model they have that support over 100lbs. But the digital drag indicator is nice. In my adventures, the Millers have always broken down prematurely. Sachtlers can break down easily too if you are not careful with them. I've seen many Sachtlers from the FSB to the Video 90 broken from the rigors of production. This would be leg locks, pan and tilt breaks, counterbalance springs, handle clamps, etc. People just assume tripods are actually tougher than they are. If you ever open up a fluid head you will see just what a complex and precise device it is.

My choice would be still be Sachtler however, the drag and build is still superior to the alternatives.
Max Allen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds