Finished EX1 Order!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:13 PM   #1
Trustee

Finished EX1 Order!!!

First off, I need to say THANKS to everyone who has helped me. I honestly could not have figured out the best equipment to buy without your help.

So, here is the order:
1 - EX1 + 3yr Warranty
2 - 16GB SxS
1 - Sony SxS USB Reader
1 - Sony UWP-V Wireless Deluxe Kit
1 - U60
1 - Miller DV10 Head/Tripod
1 - Rode NTG-2 kit + Dead Cat
1 - Sony Hard Case(LCEX1AME)
1 - Hoodman WristShot
1 - Hoodman H-400 LCD Hood

For me, I am buying Vortex Media's EX1 DVD. Apparently, some guy on this forum, named Doug, really thinks this DVD is great.

YES!!! I know who Doug Jensen is - I was just trying to be funny.

So, just to be sure, the Sony SxS USB Reader IS needed to offload onto a pc? And an 8GB SxS card is included with an EX1?

Anyone know where the 32Gb SxS cards are in stock? Ablecine shows them for sale but you must manually search for them and B&H is "Accepting Orders". Also, Ablecine charges tax in IL so thats a no-go anyways.

PS Now I can bug you guys about HOW to use the EX1 once I get it :p
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:48 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
So, just to be sure, the Sony SxS USB Reader IS needed to offload onto a pc? And an 8GB SxS card is included with an EX1?:p

Take a look at my thread "PCIe Expresscard Reader" - I have installed a front bay expresscard reader in my office workstation (Vista - 64 bit) and my main workstation at home (Windows XP Pro) and it works very well - you need a PCIe 1x (or higher) slot and if you want it to be functional for USB also (MxR etc.) an internal USB header on your motherboard (not necessary to hookup the USB). Very fast download times and only around $ 50.00 compared with $ 250 for the Sony with slower download time. The ones I am using are made by Siig. The cameras from sponsors here (like BH and Abelcine) include the 8GB card.

Quote:
Anyone know where the 32Gb SxS cards are in stock? Ablecine shows them for sale but you must manually search for them and B&H is "Accepting Orders". Also, Ablecine charges tax in IL so thats a no-go anyways.:p
I have a link to an outfit that sells the 32GB SxS for $ 795 + $ 8 for postage but can't vouch for them since I have not bought anything from them (yet). Can't post it - not a sponsor - if you want to contact me privately I can give you the link.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
So, just to be sure, the Sony SxS USB Reader IS needed to offload onto a pc? And an 8GB SxS card is included with an EX1?
No, you can connect the camera directly to your PC via a USB cable. However, the best way is via an Expresscard slot, usually in a laptop.

To install an Expresscard reader into your desktop requres you have a free PCIe slot available. Most computers I have seen come with only one and that gets used for your PCIe video card.
John Hedgecoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:13 PM   #4
Trustee

Barry, I will definitely take a look at your thread and get the same reader as you because I also use Vista x64 and might try the MxR/e-LCR cards in the near future. Much better priced than the Sony USB - now I need to find $200 to spend because the money has already been allotted. THANKS BARRY!!!

I was already looking at the Contour Shuttle Pro 2 and a colored keyboard for Premiere & AE CS4. Anyone have any other ideas for the $200?
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:18 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hedgecoe View Post
No, you can connect the camera directly to your PC via a USB cable. However, the best way is via an Expresscard slot, usually in a laptop.

To install an Expresscard reader into your desktop requres you have a free PCIe slot available. Most computers I have seen come with only one and that gets used for your PCIe video card.
My Guy Graphics workstation (bought 2 1/2 years ago) has 2 PCIe slots and my Dell XPS 730x (about 6 months ago) has 3 PCIe x 16 slots, 2 PCIe x1 slots and only 2 PCI slots.

Seems like the newer computers are going more for PCIe slots.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds