Fix for broken EX3 mic holder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 4th, 2009, 03:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Fix for broken EX3 mic holder

Yes, it did brake. So I had to make a fast repair. I cleaned out the remaining plastic, and the thin reinforcements on the upper side, to meke room for an 37,5 x 14,4 x 3 mm piece of aluminium. I drilled two 3mm holes for the new 2,5 mm bolts, and drilled in the same holes with a 5 mm to lower the bolts. A 10 mm hole was drilled for the mic tightening bolt.

The underside was filled with epoxy mixed with microballoons, and the holes was drilled after it was hardend. In two corners are a stearing pin on the camera, so the mic adapter was premounted while the epoxy was still soft. Use some vaseline or grease so the epoxy wont stick.
I hope this can help.
Attached Thumbnails
Fix for broken EX3 mic holder-ex_fix1.jpg   Fix for broken EX3 mic holder-ex_fix2.jpg  

Fix for broken EX3 mic holder-ex_fix3.jpg  
Old September 4th, 2009, 03:31 AM   #2
Major Player

Well done!
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 04:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Indeed well done. DM products makes an excellent replacement for that ratty mic holder. I use with joy.
David Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 04:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks. I did not have days to sit and wait for new parts. This costs $1 and 1 hour, if you have what you need ( Dremel grinder, drill, 3mm aluminium, epoxy and two 2,5 mm screws). And its rock solid.
Old September 4th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnt Mollan View Post
Thanks. I did not have days to sit and wait for new parts. This costs $1 and 1 hour, if you have what you need ( Dremel grinder, drill, 3mm aluminium, epoxy and two 2,5 mm screws). And its rock solid.
Hi Arnt,

thanks for your pictures. The same happened to me while filming in New Zealand. Unbelievable, that such a cheap mic holder is being produced. It wouldn't cost Sony much ($ 1 as you have stated) to produce a solid mic holder. Instead, lots of customers have issues with this broken cheap plastic toy. And while on a shoot with all the stress, you have to struggle to improvise something (which is not looking very professional).

Jürgen
Juergen Hansen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds