A fix for EX3 viewfinder fogging? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 7th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #1
Major Player

A fix for EX3 viewfinder fogging?

As the weather starts to cool here - how is the best way to avoid having the viewfinder fog?
I had a problem with that earlier in the year...
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Just use anti fog wipes. Clarity Fog Eliminator Towelette Wipes
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

When that's happened to me, it's been due to dragging a camera through a rapid change in temperature such as coming indoors after shooting outdoors in the cold for a while. A trick I learned years ago, and learned the hard way, was to put the camera in a ziplock bag before I bring the camera indoors (well, my handicams and SLRs fit in a extra large ziplock bag - do they make ones large enough for the EX3? Maybe kitchen trash liners would work). The important thing is that the air in the bag needs to be from the outside before you close it. Then you bring it inside wait for the camera to get up to the temp of the room and then take it out of the bag. Unfortunately, that's measured in hours.

I suppose if it's just happening to the optics of the viewfinder, you could just remove the viewfinder and put it in a ziplock bag. I'd want to do the whole camera, though, so no condensation gets on the lens elements.

If the viewfinder element is fogging when you're outside, that's another matter and probably has something to do with your body heat or something like that. Condensation happens when warmer, moist air hits something colder.
Old September 7th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

It can be a problem when you are operating.

Allow a little air space between your skin and the finder seal. Don't make a tight seal. Allows circulation.

Try one of these
Eyepiece Chamois Cushions by Bluestar - Chamois Leather, Fleece, Microfibre

Try anti-fog juice (at your own risk). I've used it on HDcam camcorders and it's helped.

Or go for the tried and true staple of TV camera operators worldwide. The celebrated wrist band. I prefer underarmour. Fit it over the rubber cup and youre good to go. More comfy too!

Use the juice, wristband and air space together and fogging should be virtually eliminated.
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Davenport View Post
Do you find that those work and not blur the lens? I've tried a similar product and had to spend an hour or so removing it.

If this one works better, then great. (don't have much need for it however around my neck of the woods ;-)
Old September 8th, 2009, 12:48 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I have been doing a lot of filming in the rain. The problem is the eyepiece fogging from the heat from the eye.
I use a fluid called Rain-X or Rain Clear from Turtle Wax.
I have used this fluid on the outside front port of my underwater housing for years.
Whipe on twice with a soft tissue, let dry, and polish and rinse with a clean soft tissue and clean water.
I would never use this on my front camera lens or anything that is not replacable. You can destroy the surface!
I have used it on a UVfilter in front of my lens with success.

I always carry a big wacuum bag in my equipment case.
This is a big Ziplock bag used for vacuum-packing cloths with a vacuum-cleaner.
Its soft durable and transparent plastic. I make a whole for a filter for my camera, and straps it with nylon strips or tape.
I have used this bag, filter and Rain-X, and filmed a whole day in and out of the warm springs on Island with success.
Like a cheap Ewa-bag.
But not for underwater use;-)

-arnt

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds