Shotgun Mic for Ex1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 11th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I use a Sony ECM-678.
Great sound, and comes with a rubber sleeve which fits snugly into the EX1 mic holder.
Peter Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I decided on the NTG-3. I got it new for less than $600, and it has a much "warmer" sound than the MK66 Sennheiser and closely matches the 416 that's more than twice the price. I don't have much experience with other mics, but I liked the way the NTG-3 matches up with the 416 for the money. You can go to the bicycle shop and get a foam hand grip to mount either the Sennheiser or Rode.
Steve Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #18
Major Player

I got a used Sanken CS-1 off ebay. It's great as an interview or on camera mic. It's short enough so I can get my camera in the bag with it on.

Also take a look at the Audio Technica AT-875R. For the price, it rocks! It's also even shorter than the CS-1. I've used it a few times. I might get one for myself so I can have both an on camera and off camera shotgun in my bag.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:08 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I would second Peter, above, rah, rah, for the Sony ECM-678. I know, it doesn't have the cachet of other brands, but given price and performance, its great! And given the superb audio frequency response and other great characteristics of the EX-1 (what do they mean, dscontinued, good grief!), its a winner. In the past, the audio recording capacities of many camcorders was abysmal, and this camera is outstanding! I've run frequency response tests (record and then playback) of the EX-1, Sony ECM-678 mic, and the frequency response down to and including 30 Hz is just great! To say nothing of usable response up to and beyond 10 kHz (unfortunately beyond these old ears).
William Urschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar View Post
Depends what you budget is. Personally I wouldn't go near a Rode NTG-2. Terrible in windy conditions even with a dead cat.
Most mics suffer from this not just the NTG2. Try this test on any mic you have. Fit the mic and headphones on your cam, then, listening through the headphones, blow very gently round the xlr connection, battery compartment thread and the tiny filter switch on the mic, it will sound like a force 10 gale. The answer is iether tape up all points where wind is going to get through, or use a piece of mic windshield foam to cover the back of the mic, and make sure your Softie or Miniscreen covers any joints and miniswitches. I do this on all my mics. No more wind problems, (even shooting out on the cliffs, here in North Cornwall). Rycote actually point out the need to do just this on there website
Attached Thumbnails
Shotgun Mic for Ex1-imgp0122.jpg  

Last edited by Colin Rowe; October 14th, 2009 at 07:25 AM.
Colin Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 03:25 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Hi:
If everybody "meets" a used Sanken CS-1 for sale - get in touch with me. heinavesi@gmail.com
Thanx loads in advance!
Heiner
Heiner Boeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #22
Inner Circle

I went for the NTG-3 with a few extras purchased off the classified. Look forwarded to improved audio on the EX1 and PMW-350 this winter.
Old October 26th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #23
Regular Crew

One shotgun mic you don't hear about very much is the Beyer Dynamic MCE 86. I've been using this mic for years in all sorts of situations and it has never let me down. It's great for run and gun interviews and had excellent off axis noise rejection. I use it with a softie and have no complaints. The thing I like most about it is the quality of the audio, warm and transparent.
Jay Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #24
Trustee

double post
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 11:31 PM   #25
Trustee

Have you guys tried an Octava MC012 w/ hypercardioid capsule.
Very cheap and very good quality mic.

Not quite as directional as some of the others but not bad. I used to use this with my old PD100s and PD150's

You need to use a wind screen or a softie and a good idea would be to get an inline lowcut adapter or just turn on the wind filter.
Very nice sound quality though - I think much better than a 416 for a fraction of the cost.
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:08 AM   #26
Regular Crew

MKH416, I've AB'd it against the Neumann, Schoeps and Sanken and it sounded better. I've also been using it for probably 10 years. The newer Sennheisers don't sound as good in my opinion. 416 is a proven and familiar sound in studios and post houses worldwide.
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:31 AM   #27
Trustee

I guess everyone has different ears. I had a 416 and sold it right after getting my Octava. That was on the advice of 2 very experienced sound menn and on my tests with another experienced sound man.

We liked the sound quality of the Octava much more and even found in a loud restaurant that it seemed to isolate the sound in front of us even more. No doubt the 416 has great reputation though.
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:58 AM   #28
Major Player

I own the Octava MK-012 and its a decent cheap mic. IMO it's not even close to a Sennheiser MKH416 or MKH60.

I use the Octava for interviews and bits and bobs, but I would say its a world away from the Senns. Of course its a fraction of the price, so not likely to be in the same league, and value for money wise it's an excellent buy. I would chose the Octava over the Rode NTG-2 any day.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 04:17 AM   #29
Major Player

octava sounds great but it suffers from handling noise. I only use it on a fixed boom during a sit down interview.
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #30
Regular Crew

I would like to use the standard mic holder on the Ex-3 rather than use one of the shoes or an aftermarket mic holder. Does anyone know where I could purchase the rubber insert on the standard Sony Mic so that the new mic fits the standard sony mic attachment device?

Thanks

Ronnie Martin
Page 1

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds