Shotgun Mic for Ex1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 6th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shotgun Mic for Ex1

Hi Everyone,

Just got my Ex1 yesterday and I'm in the market for a good Shotgun Mic. I primarily film weddings. My main audio is a few wireless Sennheisers. The Shotgun would be used as a backup or if I wasn't allowed to use the wireless for what ever reason in the church. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your response,

Al Kozak
Al Kozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 12:58 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi:
The Rode NTG-1 might be a good solution. I have it on my EX3 and it provides great results.
Heiner Boeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 01:41 AM   #3
Trustee

Or even the Rode NTG-2, this uses a battery which means you can use the mike with portable recorders that do not have phantom power. It will work without the battery when using cameras/equipment that supply phantom power.

Make sure you also add a high quality wind breaker to the kit. I have a Rode "Dead Cat", which is OK but not brilliant. I will probably purchase a Rycote Wind jammer, this seems to be the industry standard..
Old October 7th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Or even the Rode NTG-2, this uses a battery which means you can use the mike with portable recorders that do not have phantom power. It will work without the battery when using cameras/equipment that supply phantom power.

Make sure you also add a high quality wind breaker to the kit. I have a Rode "Dead Cat", which is OK but not brilliant. I will probably purchase a Rycote Wind jammer, this seems to be the industry standard..
Or try the new "Rycote Miniscreen", I just got one, brilliant. And much more compact than a Softie.
Old October 7th, 2009, 04:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The best I've ever had

Quality wise the best I've ever had is the Rode NTG-3.
They say it's a broadcast quality, I say only the sound quality matters.
It's not cheap ( 4 me at least it was not at all) but I got totally fed up with Azden and others.

The NTG-3 e.g. picks up clear sound even from a distance where you wouldn't think.
Noise level is really really low, but you might need Rode's own mic holder when using with EX1.
It only works on phantom but so what, I have other mic if needed.

NTG-3 comes with a kindda "bomb proof" cylinder, so you are clear to go extreme.

Finally, I had no chance testing it before buying so went with the net opinions but got it right I think :-) so naturally if you have a chance test them in a store and pick the one fits you the best.
Attached Images

Old October 7th, 2009, 06:07 AM   #6
Trustee

I got lucky and scored a Sanken CS-1 for a very good price. This is a microphone designed to go on a camera and performs more than well enough for any microphone you'd put on a camera. It is short and light. Mounted in a K-Tek mount and the DM Accessories plate it is a perfect match for the EX-1/3. Quick to get off the camera for when it gets packed, short enough to never get in shot even with a Rycote and my WA adaptor. I cannot speak highly enough of this mic and why buying a mic designed to go on a camera rather than on a pole makes so much sense.
Sanken do make better on camera mics and there are better mics from others as well. For my money the CS-1 is just the right cost / performance for the EXs. I did buy this on impulse and to date it's been the best impulse buy I've made.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:15 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I use an AT-4051a since cardioid pattern mics reject noise from the rear better than a shotgun, which is generally bi-directional.

Along the way I discovered the AT-4051a sounds really good, too.

With a wind fur over it I've been able to get very good results in a wide variety of situations. Both indoors and outdoors.
Old October 8th, 2009, 02:34 AM   #8
Major Player

Depends what you budget is. Personally I wouldn't go near a Rode NTG-2. Terrible in windy conditions even with a dead cat. The Rode NTG-3 is a better buut more expensive.

I have owned several shotguns and now have the Sennheiser MKH-60. I love it. In fact I will probably never buy another shotgun mic for the rest of my life. Mics last a lifetime unless dropped or stolen, and unlike cameras, their developement and improvements over years is miniscule in comparison to cameras.

I did own the Sennhiesser MKH-416, and again it's a brilliant shotgun mic. I chopped it in for the MKH60, but in truth there's very little between them. If you can stretch to the MKH416 P48, you will be set for life. it's a brilliant mic. They come up on Ebay quite regularly and the price of a secondhand one is comparable to the Rode NTG-3.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Interesting would love to read reviews between the Rode NTG-3 and Sennhiesser MKH-60 or 416. I am in the market also to upgrade my shotgun.
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:48 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Should have researched prior to the last post sorry.
Old October 8th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
I got lucky and scored a Sanken CS-1 for a very good price.
Another vote for the Sanken CS-1. Did a side-by-side with MK66, MKH60 and MKH416. In totally different class to the 66, similar to the 416 and can hold its head up in the presence of the 60.

And best of all, as anyone who uses it will attest, because it's so short and light, it doesn't get in the way as an on-camera mic and doesn't ruin what's left of the EX1 ergonomics whilst handheld (or has my right forearm adapted?).
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #12
Major Player

My vote's on a Neumann KMR-81i, much prefer it to the 416 I had before. Haven't tried the Sanken yet though.
Jad Meouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #13
Major Player

Another vote for the Senn MKH60. One of the quietest mics I own and the RF technology in it keeps it working in any kind of humidity conditions.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 02:00 PM   #14
Regular Crew

You migh want to take a look at a Sennheiser MKH-418. It's an MS type so you can adjust the stereo width (or change to mono) in post.
Easy to detach from the camera for use on a boom.
Vincent Mesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar View Post
Personally I wouldn't go near a Rode NTG-2. Terrible in windy conditions even with a dead cat.
I don't know about the NTG2, but near the back of the NTG1 there is a little port that holds the switch to change the pick-up pattern. If you put a piece of gaffer tape over it, your wind noise goes away.

I don't know why Rode doesn't tell people about that.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds