Skylight (UV)-Filter for EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 9th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Skylight (UV)-Filter for EX3

Hi:
There is some talk going around that a skylight (or haze or UV)-Filter will spoil good shooting with the EX3 wide-lens because it causes a lot of glow. Nevertheless, I wanna put on such a filter to protect my lens from dust, scrtatches etc.
Is that true that there are problems with such filters?
Which skylight-filter might be a good option?
Thanx!
Heiner Boeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #2
Major Player

I would not put any unnecesary filter (for protection) on the front of a lens. Lens coatings are very hardwearing and extremely effective these days. Anything you put in front of your lens will have some effect on imageing.
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #3
Major Player

As far as my experience a quality UV filter will not degrade the image BUT, I have had a bad experienced with a screw on filter affecting filters that are in a matte box, such as ND filters which I use - and polarizers.
So never mix the two or reflections can occur where highlights can actually be bounced between the glass.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #4
Major Player

I keep a UV filter on at all times. Not long ago I had to replace it because a helicopter lifting off scratched the crap out of it. That was seventy bucks I didn't mind spending.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 03:29 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Rowe View Post
Anything you put in front of your lens will have some effect on imageing.
You are correct on this point, but I doubt that even the most critical of user would see the difference. Keep a UV filter on your lens at all times and make sure it is spotless as this camera will record any dust on the glass, especially when shooting close to the light source.

I use a Hoya slimline filter which allows the fitting of the stock lens, lens hood.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds