EX3 vs. Electrical storm question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 7th, 2009, 02:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

EX3 vs. Electrical storm question

So while shooting a wakeboard event in Turkey this weekend, I experienced a rather strange phenomenon with the LCD of my EX3.

the camera was on an island in the middle of the lake, which has a cable system running in a pentagon system to drag the wakeboarders around the lake.

then came the storm, thunder, lightening, wind and rain.......

everyone ran for cover, but not before the first 15 - 20 lightening flashes had already taken place.

once under cover, the guy using my cam at the time noticed 2 translucent brown bars running horizontally across the viewfinder about a cm. wide each and fairly randomly spaced.

He called me over and we checked it out together.....

The camera was bone dry...

I switched on the cam and there were still brown bars visable........ he said that it had been much worse 5 minutes before... and it seemed to be fading
so after seeing if changing through the ND filters, switching on and off, checking through all the apperture and zoom settings, I saved my setup and decided to do a reset.

once we switched on again it was sorted. reloaded my settings and all good.

one thing I didnīt do which I realised a minute later that I shouldīve done was switch to colour bars and check if the brown was still there then..... and also record something to see if the problem was from the chips or just the viewfinder.

so here is my theory:

due to the amount of steel cable running in more or less a circle around the camera at between 30 and 50 meters and all the electricity in the air, the LCD freaked.

Iīm back @ home now and checked the cam through last night, it all seems fine..

do the stormchasers out there have any theories???
Kenny Cowburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 05:57 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Looks like Iīm the only one who has suffered such a problem.....

good thing I suppose

The other EX3 which was on the same island at the time, freaked out completely, the LCD went black and wouldnīt do anything.....(this cam however did get wet...)
I must find out if itīs working again.

now I have had the EX1 LCD die on me during a very wet snowstorm in Romania before,.......... after sitting indoors in a heated cabin overnight, it was fine..........and I still shot with it for another 3 days out in the snowy carpathians....

if anyone has experienced similar situations, Iīd be please to hear about your experiences
Kenny Cowburn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds