Ex1 discontinued? NOT at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Closed Thread

Old October 13th, 2009, 04:49 AM   #1
Major Player

Ex1 discontinued? NOT

B&H officially lists the camera as discontinued and AbelCine asks to "call for availability". A new product announcement in the near future? I will call B&H and try to speak with someone in sales this a.m.
Old October 13th, 2009, 05:34 AM   #2
Major Player

What the? I am buying an EX1 in two weeks?! Should I hold off for a discounted price if there's a new one in the works? Please update if anyone has any info.
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4876/ex1disc.png
Old October 13th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #3
Major Player

I believe it was 2-3 months ago or longer someone posted on this forum or elsewhere about a Sony camera going through the approval process (?in Germany) and there were also speculations about backlit Exmor sensors as are coming out in their DSLR's.
Old October 13th, 2009, 06:47 AM   #4
Major Player

Possibly then what we're looking at is a new camera with 3 Exmor R™ CMOS Sensors? They already have single chip ones and are talking up their low light capability.

Low light photography, Twilight Football : Sony
Old October 13th, 2009, 06:50 AM   #5
Inner Circle

You'd think they'd have had an announcement at IBC. Of course a pre announcement cuts into sales and Sony I don't think is doing well in this economy.

It might just be a "refresh" model, EX1a for example.
Old October 13th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #6
Major Player

Talked with Pro Video sales at B&H - they say the EX1 is discontinued "That was this morning's news" according to the rep. Don't have any word on replacement. Talked with the National Sales Director at B&H - they have 2 in stock in LA but he is unaware of anything new - he promised to call their Sony rep and get back with me.
Old October 13th, 2009, 07:33 AM   #7
Major Player

Don't want to quote my source but supposedly an EX1R is coming out in a couple of months with relatively minor changes (buttons and ergonomics - the way the camera is held) but no mention of new sensors (like the Exmor backlit sensors). Seems hard to believe they would stop sales of a popular camera just to make minor changes.
Old October 13th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #8
Major Player

They've done it before. The PD100/150/170? All revisions building on the previous version. For the life of me I can't now remember what the differences between the 150 & 170 were.
Old October 13th, 2009, 07:56 AM   #9
New Boot

Here is a compliance document, dated September 14 2009.

http://www.compliance.sony.de/docume...W-EX1R-DoC.pdf

You can search it yourself in here:

Sony Product Compliance Europe

Is it another model? Who knows...
Old October 13th, 2009, 07:59 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Heffernan View Post
What the? I am buying an EX1 in two weeks?! Should I hold off for a discounted price if there's a new one in the works? Please update if anyone has any info.
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4876/ex1disc.png
I have a EX1 for sale in the UK. I have the 3 year extended warranty and lots of extras. PM for details.
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Adam -- be sure to list it in our Private Classifieds forum.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
They've done it before. The PD100/150/170? All revisions building on the previous version. For the life of me I can't now remember what the differences between the 150 & 170 were.
Cleaner low light signal (less noise not greater sensitivity), "in between" F Stops (although not labeled/displayed), changes in the handle which I think included a zoom rocker. Just off the top of my head. I owned both.

Re: EX1, There was no announcement at IBC so I don't think the revision will be "major" as far as marketing is concerned. It may be they're dropping the EX1, coming out with a "1A," lowering the price of the EX3, making room for EX5 at next NAB, some combination of the aforementioned. just speculation but none of this would surprise me. Announce any revision at IBC might have eaten into current sales, something Sony may have wanted to avoid though. I think if it was a "killer" feature they might have announced though given the ability to stop sales of competitors while people wait for the release.

The thing is there's always the one "killer" feature which we'll groan about. Maybe record cache, direct recording to SDHC with overcrank, overcrank to 120fps on SxS, for example. All "Area 51" until Sony or the dealers say something.
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #13
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
B&H officially lists the camera as discontinued...
This was an error on our part for which we apologize. Apparently our buyer wished to note on our site that the EX1 is backordered and that we have no ETA. Again, we regret and apologize for this error and any confusion it caused.
Old October 13th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #14
Obstreperous Rex

As always, Henry, many thanks for posting here directly and clearing this up -- much appreciated,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds