Tiffen T1 IR is available - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 10th, 2009, 03:00 AM   #76
Major Player

Dean, are these filters currently shipping or is there a long wait time?
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:34 AM   #77
Major Player

Trevor ...

Not really sure about the time frame for delivery. I assume pretty soon as in a week or there abouts ... you'll have to address Andy on that one.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #78
Major Player

I just called AbleCineTech about the T1 filter. They take your name and info and will call you when they have them and your name comes up. They have none at the time of this writing. They gave me no info as to when they expect some in. The gal only said, "This is a VERY popular filter". Of course it is. There is going to be one sold for every EX1 Sony screwed us on.
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #79
Major Player

Quote:
There is going to be one sold for every EX1 Sony screwed us on.
Don't forget EX-3 users will also require one. To avoid wasting time I simply filled in their equiry form on the product page giving them all my details. I'm awaiting a reply but I think that'll be near the time when they have some in stock.

Quote:
"This is a VERY popular filter"
The word I'd use is 'Golddust' :) At least I have a 486 to be getting on with.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 01:48 PM   #80
Inner Circle

Has anyone established what light loss does the T1 filter cause?
Old November 10th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #81
Major Player

Hello Piotr,
I just did a quick test using the camera's auto exposure function.

With T1 1R filter F3.4
without T1 1R filter F4.8

Tiffen claim 1/3 fstop loss
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #82
Regular Crew

"Hello Piotr,

With T1 1R filter F3.4

Tiffen claim 1/3 fstop loss "

I guess you mean with the filter F4.8 and without F3.4 or not?
John Poipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #83
Major Player

Sorry John your right I have put them the wrong way around.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #84
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Poipie View Post
"Hello Piotr,

With T1 1R filter F3.4

Tiffen claim 1/3 fstop loss "

I guess you mean with the filter F4.8 and without F3.4 or not?
No, I think he's right. The filter takes away light, requiring the camera's aperture to open to allow more light in. f/3.4 with the filter on makes sense - it's a wider aperture than f/4.8.
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #85
Regular Crew

"No, I think he's right. The filter takes away light, requiring the camera's aperture to open to allow more light in. f/3.4 with the filter on makes sense - it's a wider aperture than f/4.8. "

Right indeed. The camera must compensate for the filter and has to open up the iris.
John Poipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 04:29 AM   #86
Inner Circle

Thanks John.

Actually I wish you *were* wrong - this would mean the filter increases camera's sensitivity by a full stop.

;)
Old November 12th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #87
New Boot

[quote=Steve Shovlar;1442540]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Crow View Post

I just got the T1 and have run into this very problem. I use the Sony VCL EX0877 all the time. In fact it hardly ever comes off the camera, and I thought, wrongly, that the Sony WA would just fit as per normal when the T1 was screwed in place.

This is a real disaster to me as I shoot weddings every week and in tight church spaces I need the extra WA the EX0877 gives me, as half the time I am very close/right on top of the couple and vicar.

So I can have the fun of removing the T1, white balancing, stick on the WA, then remove the WA, stick on the T1, white balancing ad nauseum.

This isn't going to work at all for me.
It isn't going to work for anyone... even if you did go through this, (some of) the blacks would keep changing to/from a red brown. That is going to be even more difficult to explain to the bride/groom.

Inspection suggests there is no room between lens and WA to fit even a slimline filter. I would be delighted to be proved wrong here... any one tried it?

So are there any options?
Brian Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #88
Trustee

Brian,

In Steve Shovlar's next post right below the one you quote he claims to have solved the problem by remounting the T1 in regular filter ring with threads on both sides. It sounds like that is working with the wide angle. Try emailing him.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 05:43 AM   #89
Major Player

There is enough room to fit the bare filter into the filter thread of the Sony lens, and then capture it with a retaining ring from the filter ring the bare filter is removed from. I have not tried this yet but will if I ever get the filters I am promised.

If this idea works, it will probably also allow for another filter to still be used, like a CP or whatever. Then I will probably never remove the T1 unless I am fighting extreme lighting conditions and I have no black issues in the shot.

Come to think of it, getting the 486 filter into the same location might be enough to change the angle of incidence of the entering light rays to alleviate the green vignette problem. I will not have to try that too! (hmmm, likely won't make a difference)

Last edited by Les Nagy; November 13th, 2009 at 05:49 AM. Reason: another thought.
Les Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #90
Inner Circle

PayPal with Abel Cine Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Harrington View Post
Another method is to have Abel-Cine send a PayPal invoice which includes shipping costs and pay that way. You pay up front and then they ship.
I got the Quote, paid via PayPal two days ago, and ...

- nothing! Not even a confirmation of receiving my payment (and mind you , I ordered and paid not for the T1 filter only).

Andy, I hope you will resolve this soon.

Piotr

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds