EX1 Stronger Tripod plate Black Anodized version in stock now. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 18th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #1
Sponsor: Westside AV

EX1 Stronger Tripod plate Black Anodized version in stock now.

EX1 Stronger Tripod plate Black Anodized version in stock now.

Protect your investment.

Our WEB store is now open.
EX1 Stronger Plates

I am developing more products, shoulder brace, specific NanoFlash arms and portable dolly systems.

I will post further updates here.

I am looking for input and beta testers for the new products.

If you have any questions post them here or contact me,
olof@westsideav.com
Attached Thumbnails
EX1 Stronger Tripod plate Black Anodized version in stock now.-banner2.jpg  
Attached Images

Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I just got a couple of these from Olof for each of my EX1s. Mine are exactly as pictured above, black plate and wing with the single shoe.

First of all, Olof was very helpful in the days leading up to my order. I had a lot of questions and he always responded promptly. Once I placed the order, I had the plates in a matter of days.

First thing I noticed is that they felt super solid. They're obviously well made. All the necessary tools and screws are included and installation was a breeze.

The plates are a perfect fit and I feel good knowing I'm no longer going to be putting massive stress on the cameras' tripod connector.

I have yet to actually use them in the field but so far so good. I have a few shoots this weekend so we'll see how it goes!

Thanks Olof!
Graham King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Olaf, you have a compelling product. Why did you opt for significantly smaller screws to secure the wing mount? Also, although the single wing mount hole makes for a beautiful product, why did you opt against providing a number of spaced holes?
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #4
Sponsor: Westside AV

Gints,

Actually the wing has 2 1/4" holes and can be ordered with 2 hot shoes one facing in one out.

The 6061 aluminum with T6 temper is very strong, the screws holding the wing are 3 3mm .50 pitch hardened screws, combined holding power of 180 lbs (60lbs ea). A larger screw would not have more holding power unless the plate was thicker, which in my experience is not necessary. The countersink on a 3mm flathead screw almost reaches the bottom of the hole, a 4mm screw counter sink would be through the wing into the plate to be flush, thus not adding any strength. Bear in mind that the entire EX1 camera to tripod plate as provided by Sony is 4 2mm screws into pretty thin aluminum studs. This plate solution adds 3 more 2mm screws into the frame of the camera.

I will also custom drill and tap the wing if anyone needs a specific layout. Velcro works very well too. Hot (or cold really) shoes are pretty universal mounts these days.

If you have a set of specific holes and tap sizes that are universal, please let me know. I am looking for input.

Thanks for your input.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #5
Trustee

I now have one of Olof's EX1 plates with a wing, excellent product, thanks Olof.

Paul.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds