Anyone use Switronix batts with EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 25th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone use Switronix batts with EX3

Hey all,

I've been trying to get my Switronix batteries (XP-L90s) to work with my EX3 but I've never had luck. Now it won't even run off my AC adapter into the DC input.

Does it matter that the DC input is 12v and the batteries are 14.8v -- or am I missing something here?

Cheers,

Micheal
Micheal McAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

I had an interesting experience with my EX3 trying to run it on non battery power.

The connector was not providing power. I think something got stuck in the jack. I could not get it out, it may be that it was there from the start. But I shaved a little off the plastic on the plug (about a 1/64"), with sandpaper, and that fixed the problem now the plug goes in far enough to make a good connection. A year later now it still works fine.

This may not be your problem but it I thought it was worth mentioning.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal McAlexander View Post
Hey all,

I've been trying to get my Switronix batteries (XP-L90s) to work with my EX3 but I've never had luck. Now it won't even run off my AC adapter into the DC input.

Does it matter that the DC input is 12v and the batteries are 14.8v -- or am I missing something here?

Cheers,

Micheal
Yikes, that doesn't sound good. Probably stating the obvious, but make sure the switch on the supplied charger / AC adapter is set to "DC Out".

And don't worry about the voltage. I use Anton Bauer batteries with my EX3 and they are 14.4v (and that's a good thing as if you used batteries that start out as 12v, they wouldn't last very long on a charge)

It sounds like you may have a bad battery and you may want to return it for replacement. I really hope your camera is okay. If the Switronix battery damaged it, Switronix should pay for the repairs.
Old November 26th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yeah the DC out is set on the adapter.

I checked all the batteries and they are all under 17v. I don't see how they could cause the problem (unless I'm missing something). I guess the AC adapter cable could be faulty but that doesn't seem likely.

Seems to me something wrong with the DC IN circuit on the EX3.

THis is the 2nd time this has happened. Gonna see if Sony will replace it. Good thing I bought a 3 year warranty :)

Micheal
Micheal McAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #5
Contributor

You are not missing anything. All Li-Ion batteries of this size (they have four 3.7v cells connected as a string) start with about 16V fully charged, discharging down to about 12V at the end. It does not matter which manufacturer they came from; it is an inherent property of a Li-Ion battery. There is no way a battery can damage your camera. It sounds like you have a connection problem (faulty jack?). Also, I believe you need to remove the BP-U30/60 battery from the camera in order to be able to use the 12V jack, but I could be wrong on that.
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 11:30 AM   #6
Sponsor: Westside AV

As I mentioned earlier, check if there is something stuck in the camera jack. If there is then the plug will not go in all the way. It can be very hard to tell but take a flash light and check.

Be very careful if you try to remove something lodged in there. Make sure batterie is disconnected if you probe with any metal in the jack.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Alex - thanks for the batt info... I didn't know that :) Yes I did remove the BP-U30 and tried -- no joy

Olof - yes I checked and no foreign objects in the DC jack :(

Guess it goes back to Sony.

I am not happy with Sony right now :(

I plan to shoot a digi-feature this summer as part of a class I teach at the university I work at. I gotta get this solved soon.
Micheal McAlexander is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds