EX1R recording to two sources at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 18th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #1
Inner Circle

EX1R recording to two sources

Can you record to both to the internal card and external source via firewire? For example, to miniDV camcorder, a F5 Firestore, or to a laptop using Adobe OnLocation. How does the XDCAM format effect firewire streaming? Will it stream in HQ or only in SQ ? Is it possible to stream out the firewire a different format than the one being recorded to the sxs card? Since probably no one has an EX1R yet, my question could be directed at the EX1 since they most likely operate the same way in regards to firewire streaming.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
Can you record to both to the internal card and external source via firewire? For example, to miniDV camcorder, a F5 Firestore, or to a laptop using Adobe OnLocation. How does the XDCAM format effect firewire streaming? Will it stream in HQ or only in SQ ? Is it possible to stream out the firewire a different format than the one being recorded to the sxs card? Since probably no one has an EX1R yet, my question could be directed at the EX1 since they most likely operate the same way in regards to firewire streaming.
I have used DVRack HD (Onlocation) and it only records in SQ mode HDV format 1440x1080 from The EX1 via firwire .
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #3
Sponsor: Westside AV

The NanoFlash will record at the same time as SxS card in very high quality.

Pretty much anything that reads SD/HD-SDI or HDMI should be able to do this. MX02 or AJA etc.

Also anything that can record HD/HD component would be able to do this.

FW is only HDV quality and only works if you reduce bit rate to 25mb/s (1440 not 1920). At least in the EX1, I don't think the R changed this.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
The NanoFlash will record at the same time as SxS card in very high quality.
$3,000 + cards is out of my price range, but nice to know its possible.

Quote:
FW is only HDV quality and only works if you reduce bit rate to 25mb/s (1440 not 1920). At least in the EX1, I don't think the R changed this.
Is there a big difference between HQ and SQ? Is it a waste of money to shoot in SQ on the ex1?
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Only YOU can determine if it's a waste of money. I've certainly done it, and my clients didn't think it was a waste at all. In shooting events, the footage looking pristine is nice. Coming home WITH the footage is crucial. So the ability to shoot to my cards (SDHC) as well as the Firestore gave me a lot of piece of mind. Very important when there are no do-overs.

I'm lobbying as hard as I can for a Nanoflash. Right solution, great price. Not wild about the codec, but you can't have everything for $3k. If you want the same capability with Cineform as the codec, you gotta spend $15k.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds