EX1 lens goes bad at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 21st, 2009, 03:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 lens goes bad

Today I noticed that focusing at infinity does not work. With telephoto at Z99 it goes blurry, with zoom at Z80 it is almost normal. But at Z80 the left side seems to be worse off than the right side.

It seems strange that the lens goes bad without any apparent reason after almost two years.
I will send it for service, but I am worried about the two year warranty - are there some cases of Sony refusing to the repair of this type of fault?
Attached Thumbnails
EX1 lens goes bad-zoom99.jpg   EX1 lens goes bad-zoom90.jpg  

EX1 lens goes bad-zoom80.jpg  
Sverker Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 04:31 PM   #2
Major Player

I had the same problem with my EX1 after about 1 year of service. They replaced the lens under warranty.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 08:09 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Had a similar problem with an EX3, the lens would not focus beyond maybe 20ft. Yet sometimes you could re-attach it and it'd be fine - seemed therefore likely that it's and electrical contacts problem.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 08:38 AM   #4
Major Player

A buddy of mine who was using one of my EX1s noticed this problem as well. He couldn't focus on infinity even on stuff miles away like Pikes Peak in Colorado Springs.

I thought I was going to have to send the 'out of warranty' camera in to get a new lens.

Just to make sure, I told him about the back focus maintenance menu, so he tried the back focus adjustment (you can find out how to do this in this forum), nothing changed. He did it an additional 2 times, it fixed it.

Now the camera focuses on infinity. No more problems.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 11:22 AM   #5
Trustee

Just as an aside, I'd mention that I was shooting in a hot sunny SA a few weeks ago, and on one occasion the camera was stowed in the back of the jeep, not on my lap.

On setting up a shot, the whole backfocus had gone. No infinity, and I was using the 'full' manual setting (no, it isn't full mechanical manual, but hey). I was able to use the lens to focus on what I needed to, but it was a sphincter-relaxing moment.

On that occasion, a quick on-off-on reboot cured it.

Not saying that this is the only cure-all, but these EX things are computers with a bit of glass at the front. They run into bugs, they overheat, they do all sorts of things that a laptop would do, and that bit of glass up front is not a mechanical device.

Reboot, reset, restore. Same oopsies, different carpet.

Having said that, the whacked out lens setting briefly showed me that I've got a bit of dirt in the lower left of my lens that doesn't show in normal situations!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds