Premiere Pro CS4.2.1 and EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 17th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Premiere Pro CS4.2.1 and EX1

Hi all,

I am trying to edit a project filmed with EX1 Pal 1440 using Premiere Pro CS4.2.1 to edit. I have a brand new fast system, Intel core, i7 920, 2.7gh with Window7 64bit, 12 gig ram, it was working perfectly with SD DV project but as soon I now started a HD project 50i 1440 it freezes, it loads up but as soon as I do any effect or reduce the speed of a clip it freezes. Any ides please?
I even created the project again and again but the same problem!
Thanks
Mitchell
Mitchell Yazdani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 07:02 AM   #2
Regular Crew

If have almost the same configuration but use still XP Pro 32bit. Although even newest update from PP hangs regulary (save often!) it works like a charm with native EX1 material (even not converted to mxf), both in 1920x1080/50i and 1280x720/50p. I did not try any other resolution.

Did you try other resolutions then 1440x1080?

P.s.: this topic will probably moved to PP section.
Markus Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 09:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I am using PP 4.2 (not sure about the .1 part), and it works like a charm with the EX1 mxf files. Oh, I am using WinXP Pro updated to SP3 now, on a 32bit quad core intel. No problems or issues.

What you are describing is almost exactly like a problem I was having with PP 3 and some MP4 files from a Sanyo Xacti. The only way I could get that to work was by transcoding the MP4 files to MPEG. But under PP 4.2, even these Sanyo MP4 files are no problem.

I never did figure out why I had certain issues under PP 3.
John Hedgecoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 05:05 AM   #4
Regular Crew

You must have a really high end GPU in order for the video files to playback smooth with CS4.

Now days I recommend that you get an ATI 5870 or higher.
Old December 29th, 2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit (great upgrade BTW) on a Xeon 3.2G quad core with 32Gb of RAM and a 1.5Gb Nvidia Quadro FX 5600. I still get "less than smooth" playback during editing and I've managed to lock up the system when working on high-res projects. I'm also using PP CS4 4.2.1, and one of the party bonuses when PP locks up is, in spite of all the annoying auto-saves during the editing process, I lose every change that I've made since opening the file. All of the media imports, timeline edits, effects, etc.

I'm not nearly as experienced with this, but I can see tell-tale signs that the software is bogging down and I'll do a hard save, then close and re-open the software just to be sure.

As a side note, you can set parameters in PP to limit the amount of video that will load into memory. It serves the purpose of allowing smooth playback, albeit shorter duration than ideal, but it may help prevent some of the problems that you've been having. When you're editing hi-res video and you add a lot of effects such as fading or blending transitions, and then layer a few other effects on top of it, it's been my experience that it's going to bog your system no matter what you have. I though I had a strong system, but it's no match for a complex high-res project in PP.
Steve Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I can not figure out how to get Prem 4 to work smoothly with HDV or EXcam files.
IMO it is a very bad written application, but it may be me not knowing how to configure Premiere. If I edit in Sony Vegas, everything works smooth and fine. I only wish I could "unlock" the timeline in Vegas just as in Premiere or to use miltiple timelines.
John Poipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pond View Post
one of the party bonuses when PP locks up is, in spite of all the annoying auto-saves during the editing process, I lose every change that I've made since opening the file. All of the media imports, timeline edits, effects, etc.
You should be able to open the auto-save files and at least go back to work from the point where the program last "auto-saved". You shouldn't lose all the changes you've made since you last opened the file. Unfortunately PPro doesn't do this automatically for you, but if you go into the auto-save folder within your project folder then you can see all the auto-saved pproj files. Order them in date order and open the most recent one. Once you've checked it's working fine you can just save that in the project folder with the original name.
Mark Morreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #8
Inner Circle

For what it's worth, PP CS4 has been very stable on all the updates so far. The only time it has failed is with badly damaged source files - but on proper material it has been 100% stable - I have no complaints whatsoever.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds