Sony Propriatary power plug. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 25th, 2009, 11:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony Propriatary power plug.

I measure it as 5.5mm on the insulated tip, 5.0mm outside jacket.
and somewhere between 1.0 and 1.4mm for the inner pin.

other than $40 , where does a person find one of those?
Vortex Media EXDC1 12v 4-Pin XLR Male to Sony Power Cable for the PMW-EX1, PMW-EX3 Camcorders and XDCAM Drives - Reviews, Features, and Prices $40 - $40 at DealTime

i think i can make a lighter more powefull Li-Poly block battery with Balanced charge capability, for very cheap (for myself) and paying $40 for a $5 connector would be pretty messed up, when the batteries dont cost that much.

also found stuff like this easy, but without knowing where else a sony connector like this exact one is used, or the exact size of the inner pin :-(
Plugs for Laptop DC power jacks
Old December 25th, 2009, 11:44 PM   #2
Major Player

There will be one at the end of your Charger / Power supply lead. You could consider cutting the cable that supplies this and rejoining it with a plug and in-line socket of your choice. However I had no trouble buying a straight connector at the local electronics store. The part number for the right angle version has been mentioned before on this forum some time ago.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 12:01 AM   #3
Major Player

oh so it is not so difficult. i tracked down some of the threads on here, and links are dead for some of the stuff discussed. that is where i found the $$$ vortex one.
Old December 26th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #4
Major Player

It's an EIAJ-04. Not proprietary, a standard dc type.

EIAJ connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old December 26th, 2009, 12:21 AM   #5
Major Player

found a stright one, that oughta do it, thanks
Philmore DC Power Plug (3.3mm I.D. x 5.5mm O.D.) : 255

the sony one does have a .5mm dia lip around thiers to keep it from falling out
Old December 26th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #6
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Welk View Post
I measure it as 5.5mm on the insulated tip, 5.0mm outside jacket.
and somewhere between 1.0 and 1.4mm for the inner pin.

other than $40 , where does a person find one of those?
Vortex Media EXDC1 12v 4-Pin XLR Male to Sony Power Cable for the PMW-EX1, PMW-EX3 Camcorders and XDCAM Drives - Reviews, Features, and Prices $40 - $40 at DealTime

i think i can make a lighter more powefull Li-Poly block battery with Balanced charge capability, for very cheap (for myself) and paying $40 for a $5 connector would be pretty messed up, when the batteries dont cost that much.

also found stuff like this easy, but without knowing where else a sony connector like this exact one is used, or the exact size of the inner pin :-(
Plugs for Laptop DC power jacks
EX cables $29.00
http://www.dolgin.net

Last edited by Alex Dolgin; December 26th, 2009 at 08:49 PM.
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #7
Major Player

Here's a mod I did with my original Sony power adapter and I made up a set of adapter cables for some 12v SLA batteries that I bought years ago.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...tml#post927855
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 08:16 AM   #8
Major Player

Got the Straight plugs, they fit in perfectally and even have the same lip thing making them very solidly held in. it is actually harder to pull out than the sony, so that part is covered.

one more question, just to be sure.
we know that the camera can handle the 16.8-17V (fully charged) 14.4V type li-ion power packs at the battery slot. 4xli-ion
is anybody Positive that the external input can handle the same High voltages?

potentially i can knock the voltage down a touch with say a single diode, which might relieve some of the internal regulation heat, which will still have that at 11.5v before the battery supply is completly depleated.

and if the high voltages are a real issue, i could also run a external regulator, which would keep even more heat out of the camera, having the regulation being done on the outside.

If the cameras regulation is a DC-DC conversion type, instead of resistive , then i dont have to care at all about any extra heat buildup, but i doubt that they would use that method because of the noise it could induce.

What think ye?
Old January 26th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #9
Contributor

Yes, you are OK. This question was discussed on the forums when the camera just came out, and the users started using the 12V plug without any problems. Just to support this, the 3d party generic batteries like SWIT S-8U62 use the 12V jack to send power to the camera. Fully charged they are 16.4V.
HTH
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 08:28 AM   #10
Major Player

thanks Alex.
Old January 26th, 2010, 08:37 AM   #11
Trustee

I went down to my neighborhood Radio Shack storefront and got one of their "modular" DC plug adapters which fits perfectly. I'll have to go and dig the cord out of the van to get the specific letter designation.

I made a series of DC cables for various purposes including the EX1 camera, a couple of external monitors, etc. For long shooting sessions out in the field without mains power, I use one of those portable battery things which are made to jump-start your car. The 12VDC runs the camera, monitors, lights, etc. I use the same battery and cables, etc for my portable emergency ham radio equipment.

I also found a 12VDC wall wart at a surplus store for $5 which runs my EX1 just fine and came with an exact-fit DC plug.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds