Best second camera for fast-moving sports? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 26th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #1
New Boot

Best second camera for fast-moving sports?

I'm an EX1 shooter and want a second and smaller camera. I record my kids in horsejumping and lacrosse which require fast pans to follow the action. I use an EX1 on a Miller tripod at 720p60 and edit in FCP3. Here's a 45 second snippet of the resulting work:

I want a second and small camera...to record b-roll in the barn or locker room etc. (And because the EX1 is painful to handhold and sometimes I just don't want to travel with the big rig). Once enjoyed the Sony HC1 but it gave up and died. Tried a friend's Canon Vixia HF11 and loved the small size. But I haven't had the chance to compare cameras available now.

I didn't know where to post this question...let me know if there's a better place.
Scott Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #2
Major Player

JVC HM100. Even records same codec as the EX-1.

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 04:59 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the fast response Ned. I'll check it out.
Scott Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 05:24 AM   #4
Major Player

I second the JVC HM100. It cuts well with the EX-1 and EX-3. The small chips aren't that great in low light though. It's a small compact camera yet big on features.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #5
Trustee

And I'll third the HM100 by reflecting that a colleague has two EX1Rs and two HM100s for multicam shoots. He can do a 3 camera shoot from a standard airline carry-on.
Old December 29th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I hope you don't mind if I ask a somewhat off-topic question. What shutter speed are you using? The video looks nice and crisp, which is a problem that I've been having with the video I'm shooting of fast action subjects. I'm shooting high-speed radio control cars, airplanes, helis etc., and it's like trying to shoot a mosquito. They travel at speeds up to 50 mph on average, and they're only about 20 inches long and are totally unpredictable in their movement. So, panning only gets me so far. I've shot up to 1/250, but I'm think I may need to go faster on the shutter speed. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Here's a recent video where there's considerable blur. The action starts after the 3:00 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go1azB6Y2EE
Steve Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 02:20 AM   #7
New Boot

How get a crisp image of moving objects?

Sorry for the slow response. Steve, I'd don't have my notes with me, but have generally settled on 120 for shutter speed. 250 is a bit crisper, but to stroby. Looked at your sequence...you're getting the same result that I get, moving objects just aren't clear, like stationary objects. Wish I knew what trick I'm missing.
Scott Cook is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds