How to send digital signal from EX1 to DV firewire at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 24th, 2010, 07:06 AM   #1
Tourist

How to send digital signal from EX1 to DV firewire

I tried to send from firewire to dvd recorder but it does not understand the signal.
There is box that can change SDI to firewire dv but it costs 1500€...is there some cheaper and simplier way to do this?
Christian Valtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 08:47 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Camera sends video out firewire only when in SP (HDV Compatible) mode. If you shoot in HQ (XDCAM EX) as you should, it does not output firewire. It outputs HD-SDI. Blackmagic has a bunch of converters but none to firewire.
Blackmagic Design: Mini Converters
They do have SDI to Analog which might give you a way to connect to a DVD Recorder.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I don't know if the EX1 will do this but the EX1R will send standard def down the firewire on media playback. I was able to record footage shot at 1080 24p via firewire to my consumer sony mini dv camcorder which looked great. When I tried the same thing to my Panasonic DVD recorder it didn't work out; the recorder got confused every time I manipulated the thumbnails in the camera. This is not a simple process but playing back in camera and recording to dv and then recording mini dv to dvd recording is certainly cheap and should be fairly lossless in quality via firewire. The downside is it is quite time consuming.

mb
Mark Bolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:37 PM   #4
Inner Circle

EX1 is ONLY HDV over firewire.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 02:13 AM   #5
Tourist

other solution?

or have you seen dvd recorder that can take hdv in?
Christian Valtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hey Craig, your caps lock button is stuck
Mark Bolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I have a finger STUCK to the CAPS LOCK key. I'm not going to tell you which FINGER though. <wink>
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds