Shooting ENG style with EX1 & EX3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 16th, 2010, 08:32 AM   #16
Major Player

I absolutely LOVE the viewfinder on the EX3, it is amazing. you won't miss your full size camera's VF once you switch.

I use the Cartoni Focus system, but don't have a remote zoom controller on the handle.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 09:29 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I've an EX1 and I frankly have lot of trouble using it ENG. Not so much it's ergonomics, I shoot on a tripod as often as I can and find the controls to be pretty sensible. The shallow depth of field and the indifferent monitoring make getting sharp focus tricky, particularly when you are fairly close to your subject and have to work fast. I'd imagine the better eyepiece on the EX3 or the improvements in the EX1r might make this easier. The EX1 also has pretty laissez-faire auto iris and that's trouble as well when you need to run and gun. I came from a DSR-300, a camera that saved me time after time. EX1 is a different creature.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #18
Trustee

The problem with the EX1 solved by the EX1r and EX3 is that the optical viewfinder is not resolved enough for critical focus, and the LCD while sharp is not shielded from ambient light. A hoodman or sockloupe should help there.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Planchon View Post
I absolutely LOVE the viewfinder on the EX3, it is amazing. you won't miss your full size camera's VF once you switch.

I use the Cartoni Focus system, but don't have a remote zoom controller on the handle.
I use this fulltime on my EX1(HOODMAN EX1 KIT-Hoodman Corporation) - adjustable optics. I believe it comes close to reproducing what you see with the EX3 viewfinder
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #20
Major Player

Dave - what is the finder eyecup you are using?
Old February 16th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Shaughan,

I use the Viewfinder Eyecushion by Bluestar. It's a chamois material that I really like. Keeps the grime off my viewfinder when its hot and helps create a better seal against light. The Oval Small for Betacam fits our EX-3 perfectly.

Dave
Dave Nystul is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds