Quick test with new Schneider Optics Platinum IR 1/2 stop filter on the PMW-EX1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:17 PM   #16
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Newcomb View Post
Also, can it be piggybacked with a thin UV filter w/o vignetting?
Charles,

You could use a thin UV filter but I wonder why you would. The only reason might be protection of the filter or if you were shooting at very high altitude but otherwise the extra air-to-glass surface that the UV provides would be more of a downside and than positive.

The vignetting issue on 486 filters does not come from the UV filtration but rather the IR filtration where you have 30+ layers of coatings that show in the image at wide angles. The Platinum Series IRND and Platinum Series 1/2 Stop are absorbtive and therefore do not have any vignetting issues.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:58 PM   #17
Major Player

Hello, Ryan:

Thanks for your response.

I live at 8,000' elevation and I regularly shoot at elevations from 7,000' to 12,000'. UV is an issue up here.

Aside from that I keep the UV filter on as protection from scratches and such.

I was going to buy an ND filter that is also a UV filter (sometimes I need just a tad more ND than one can crank in on the camera) before you announced this new one.

EDIT: Never mind. I decided to get a matte box and use the 4x5.65 filter instead of the screw-in one. Thanks.

Last edited by Charles Newcomb; May 4th, 2010 at 08:14 AM.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #18
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Charles,

I got your edit but I thought I would add one little known note.

Schneider True-Pols and B+W Polarizers filter out all UV light below 410nm which is what a normal UV filter does and what everything except "aircraft grade" UVs (UV417, etc) filter out. So there is no need for additional UV filtration when using a Polarizer.

Polarizers also loose about 1.7 to 2.1 stops depending on the angle of incidence of light so that could be a useable solution short of ND and a UV.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds