EX3 Genlock Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 26th, 2010, 01:21 AM   #1
Trustee

EX3 Genlock Questions

2 Questions:

1) How do I use the EX3's genlock with an EX1?

2) As I understand, genlock can be used to start each camera's recording at identical times. So, do both cameras need to stay connected after recording begins? (they would both be recording 3+hrs continuous)

Thanks
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #2
Regular Crew

EX1 can't be GenLocked because it doesn't support it. EX3 or 350 only.
Rick Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 10:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

That said, if you are switching live your switcher may well have frame synchronization for one or more inputs. I regularly switch among four EX1s using a Panasonic AV-HS300. Works great. Genlock was one of those things I didn't mind giving up when we stopped analog production.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Genlock allows two cameras to be synced together so that each frame being recorded starts at the exact same time. This is essential if you want to use the cameras to feed a vision mixer that doesn't have timebase correction on it's inputs. It is also useful for 3D and other applications where the cameras must be synchronised to each other.

Genlock does not control when the cameras go in to record, nor does it lock the timecodes together. To lock timecode you need to feed timecode from camera to camera. To make both cameras start recording together you would need a remote control device that triggers both cameras.

You can genlock an EX1 to and EX3. The EX1 would act as the master camera and you take the Y signal from the component output of the EX1 and feed that to the Genlock input of the EX3, the EX3 will then adjust it's timebase to match that of the EX1. You need the cameras to remain connected for them to stay in Sync.
Old April 26th, 2010, 11:28 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks Allister. Its funny because I was just on your site trying to find where you posted about doing this with your EX1 & EX3 for 3D work. That is where I got the idea, although I won't be shooting 3D.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds