How to view XD footage without Final Cut Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 16th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #1
Major Player

How to view XD footage without Final Cut Vegas

I have a client who wanted the raw clips from his project. I'm not familiar with this type of footage cause it was a friends camera. I am able to view them with Quicktime player with no problem, but the client says he only hears sound.

He is based 300 miles away with my hard drive with the files on them. Is there a way for him to view or convert them without using a NLE system? Mpeg Streamclip? etc.

Also, how am I able view them with QT without final cut even open?

Thanks,
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 09:59 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Tell him to download VLC (VideoLan). It's a player and works well for this purpose.
Old June 16th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Of course Sony's free ClipBrowser works too.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #4
Major Player

Doesn't ClipBrowser only work within Vegas? Hmmm.

Well, I will tell him to attempt both.

thanks guys
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Ciipbrowser is completely separate from Vegas and brings a LOT of things to the table. He should really have both. Clipbrowser allows access to all metadata if the original BPAV structure is intact. But it's meant as a prep tool, not a viewer. If the BPAV structure is no longer there, ClipBrowser cannot read the files.
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Just to clarify further what Perrone is saying, ClipBrowser is a Sony utility and works indecently of any NLE and works on Mac as well.

BTW, never separate the MP4 from the BPAV. It's like pulling the tape out of a BetaCam cassette (or DV or whatever) and expecting it to play.

Of course there are some NLEs that can handle the raw MP4 and VLC can as well but removing the MP4 creates a problem for those NLEs who need the metadata.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm not sure it works indecently, but.....
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #8
Inner Circle

errr . . . independently indecent of course. A viewing a naked ClipBrowser may require adult supervision.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds