Sony PMW-350 Audio Channel Setup? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 16th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony PMW-350 Audio Channel Setup?

Since I don't own the camera yet I haven't had a lot of time to work on the setup although I've been searching all over the Internet to learn as much as I can. I'll be shooting with it this Saturday. Sony says this camera can record 4 channels of audio. I've been experimenting with the camera for the last couple of hours. There are only three audio inputs that I can find. Channel 1, Channel 2 and the shotgun mic channel on the front. I can't figure out if the 4th channel would be using the internal Sony wireless system or not. Before actually looking at the camera I thought I could plug in whatever 4 types of inputs I want. That doesn't seem to be the case. Any experience?
Robert McGowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 12:06 AM   #2
Trustee

The front shotgun mic input is 2 channel stereo, 5 pin female. If you want to input 2 sources other than the shotgun, I think you'd have to get an adaptor cable, something like this
Neumann | AC-21 5-Pin XLR Male to 2 3-Pin XLR Female | AC 21

I don't know about phantom power through these, though....
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Warren,

I was hoping I could somehow attach 3 wireless feeds as well as the front shotgun but I don't know if that is possible other than buying Sony's very expensive wireless system not sure if that's possible either). I have an Audio Technica 1800 attached to the back right now. It's a two channel dual diversity receiver so that's how I have two feeds. I'd like to have the ability to capture three. Cheers.
Robert McGowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 09:14 AM   #4
Major Player

You can as mentioned by Warren. Get a adapter cable and a different shotgun and your set. Want a nicer solution? You have to buy a slot receiver, but then you pay way more...
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert McGowan View Post
Warren,

I was hoping I could somehow attach 3 wireless feeds
Still can be done with that adaptor cable. Replace the front stereo shotgun with a 3 pin mono XLR. Connect to left channel of adaptor cable. Connect new wireless receiver to right channel of adaptor cable. Keep AT dual connected to rear connectors.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds