Going from an HMC 40 to the EX1R at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 5th, 2010, 04:07 AM   #1
Major Player

Going from an HMC 40 to the EX1R

Hey guys and girls
I thought I would see what you all thought I could expect ,going from an hmc 40 to the ex1r
Ive never used any camera with bigger than 1/4" sensors
from what I understand ,and from the samples ive seen ,I should notice a pretty big jump in low light performance
however seeing as i have no experience with anything better
and there is no place near me to demo the ex1r
I also browsed through the forums extensively looking for raw clips ,but the links are so old that most of them are now dead
I thought I would ask what I could hope to see in low light improvement ,ive attached a link to 2 raw mts files from the 40 that were taken at dusk the image is moderately noisy and quite dark auto gain limited to 12db
Thats another thing I wanted to know about ,is whether the ex1r with its bigger sensors is better in low light overall and less noisy even when using gain

also what are your opinions on how the 2 codecs compare (avchd 24mb/s ,xdcam at 35mb/s) quality wise
really the only thing that turns me off to the ex1r is the expensive sxs cards
although I understand you can use sdhc cards with the sony adapter
Sony MEAD-SD01 SDHC Card Adapter MEAD-SD01 - B&H Photo Video

if you guys think of any other things ill notice if I switch ,I would love to hear about them :)

these are viewable with the latest version of vlc
Download 00018.MTS
Download 00019.MTS
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds