EX1 in an MRI? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 6th, 2010, 10:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 in an MRI?

So,

A client booked me for a shoot on Wednesday and it turns out the shoot is in an MRI lab. I'm assuming they are going to want me to shoot in there while the machine is going. Does anyone have any experience with this? Will it even work? Would it be bad for my camera? any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Colin
Colin McAuliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 10:40 PM   #2
Major Player

You won't be able to get near the MRI with anything that has metal in it. They'll probably have you shoot from the operator's booth just outside the imager.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2010, 01:26 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Newcomb View Post
You won't be able to get near the MRI with anything that has metal in it. They'll probably have you shoot from the operator's booth just outside the imager.
As above.
There's no way you will be in the room with the machine when it's actually running.
Old August 7th, 2010, 07:07 AM   #4
Major Player

It would be very exciting though to see an expensive camera get sucked into an even more expensive machine.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #5
Major Player

You wouldn't want your camera in the room anyway. The magnetic field is tremendous. My son is an MRI tech.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #6
Regular Crew

A few years ago I shot a very low power open MRI unit. I was able to setup my lights and Betacam in the room because the magnetic field was very small. I was still very careful and tried to keep the camera as far from the unit as possible. This was only after the tech swore to me that it was safe to bring the gear in. The machine was designed for claustrophobic patients, allowing a spouse or friend to sit just alongside the unit, holding the patient's hand.

Now I usually just shoot through the open door, when the machine is not doing a scan.

The key thing is to be very careful. If there's any doubt about the machine, don't take your gear in the room. And leave your watch and credit cards, anything with a magnetic strip, outside the room.
Michael Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Carlson View Post
It would be very exciting though to see an expensive camera get sucked into an even more expensive machine.
Lots of pictures on the web of MRI accidents:

MRI Missile Effect Accident Pictures MRI Metal Detector Blog

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds