small "carry-on" size case for EX-1? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 26th, 2010, 07:36 AM   #16
Tourist

small "carry-on" size case for EX-1?

I use the Porter Case. It's hard shell, fits into most airlines overhead compartment. I can hold my EX1R, power supply, batteries, wireless mic system, hand held mic, and extra cards. In addition, the case folds down from the telescoping handle and becomes a cart that can carry up to 200lbs for short distances.

Cheers,

Jim
Jim Cunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:13 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Love my Pelican 1510. I would NEVER go with a soft case. Hard cases allow for maximum security, are waterproof, can double as apple box, seat or other. I can fit my EX1, 2 lav setups, on camera light, shotgun, headphones 3 batteries, 3 cards, charger, small roll of gaff, cords, wide angle lens, white balance cards, xlr cables and misc in there. Why you would ever risk a 10k investment in a soft case is a mystery to me.....

oh.. and it is carry on legal for EVERY airline and airplane size, including those tiny CRJ or RJ's delta connections fly. They say the won't fit, but they do, with no problem! I fly all over with my EX1 every month.
Attached Images

Annen James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #18
Major Player

I hear you guys, but I'll add one little thing about my soft case: it doesn't look any different from 97% of all the other pieces of luggage that people are lugging, so it doesn't attract the attention that a more expensive-looking hard case might.
Cheers everyone,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #19
Regular Crew

looks like a good solution, Malcolm, but as a pilot I think I should warn you, the first time you go to fly on a CRJ/ERJ/Turboprop, they are going to take that case away from you and throw it in the back, and probably literally 'throw'. You might want to have a small, roll up padded sack that you would fit your camera in a pinch, because if you travel a lot, this will happen, and you'll want to take you camera out before it does. Good luck...
Old August 26th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #20
Major Player

You have to be careful so they don't force you to check the bag. This can easily happen if you are using a connecting flight on a smaller plane. Even my Petrol PDRB-3 would have been confiscated on my last flight had I brought it. Instead, I used my Walmart backpack ($35) that I lined with egg crate foam and cinched it down so it was thin. No problem going either direction from NY to California. A modified small standard carry-on would also work. Space is often limited on small planes, and some passengers like to hog the entirety of the small overhead compartments.

Most of us seem to like spending a whole lot of money on overpriced bags, cases, and backpacks that can be confiscated by the "luggage predators". Why? So that we can look more "professional" when we arrive? But at what price?

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I fly with my hard pelican case all the time on RJ's. It fits no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem Moore View Post
looks like a good solution, Malcolm, but as a pilot I think I should warn you, the first time you go to fly on a CRJ/ERJ/Turboprop, they are going to take that case away from you and throw it in the back, and probably literally 'throw'. You might want to have a small, roll up padded sack that you would fit your camera in a pinch, because if you travel a lot, this will happen, and you'll want to take you camera out before it does. Good luck...
Annen James is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds