how are the audio channels captured? (ex1r) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 03:52 AM   #1
Major Player

how are the audio channels captured? (ex1r)

are they captured as 2 separate mono tracks? or 1 stereo track?

I am trying to use the internal mic for comments, and an external mic for capturing live music, and I was wondering how I then mix the 2 in post, or if there's a way to mix it already from the camcorder itself
Federico Perale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:27 AM   #2
Regular Crew

they can be captured in stereo (linked AGC) or in mono (separate AGC) in camera but they will always show up as stereo tracks when you import in NLE.

You'll have to unlink them after importing. I'm a Premiere guy and I use interpret footage and set the audio to mono, that way I get two separate mono tracks in the timeline.
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:39 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoran Vincic View Post
they can be captured in stereo (linked AGC) or in mono (separate AGC) in camera but they will always show up as stereo tracks when you import in NLE.

You'll have to unlink them after importing. I'm a Premiere guy and I use interpret footage and set the audio to mono, that way I get two separate mono tracks in the timeline.

thanks Zoran but excuse my ignorance, I don't quite understand.
does it mean that each audio channel is stereo in its own right? or the only way to get stereo audio from the Ex1r is to link them? when trying to capture music for example I would always want to get stereo.

is the utility to have separate AGC to get different settings for the same shot?
Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:56 AM   #4
Regular Crew

no, each of the two channels is mono. It's just that you can treat them as one stereo channel in camera if you link the AGC or you can treat them as two separate mono tracks (with separate AGC).
And that's if you even use AGC, if you're manually adjusting the levels than it doesn't matter, you get two separate mono audio channels, nothing more, nothing less.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:10 AM   #5
Major Player

thanks.
one last question.
I was trying yesterday to record a shot of me playing an acoustic guitar using the Shure sm81, a market standard for cardioid condenser mic used in many recording studios.
setting up the audio level on manual everything looked fine and it wasn't clipping.

but on playback the audio was very low.... I am wondering what have I done wrong...?
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:21 AM   #6
Regular Crew

the sm81 should have a nice healthy signal

check that the phantom power is on and check the trim levels in the audio menu...
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:28 AM   #7
Major Player

any guidance on setting the trim levels?
Old August 24th, 2010, 02:59 AM   #8
Major Player

yesterday I tried to record something using both internal mic (manual) and external (auto)

on Vegas this is seen as a stereo track.
anyone knows how I can split the tracks and just keep one, or mix them as needed during the shot (Vegas 8c)?
Old October 4th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #9
Tourist

Sony EX1r Audio Only Recording

I am new here and don't want to kidnap this thread. But I need to know if I can record using my external mike audio only. In other words, using the EX1r as a recorder for live sitar music to be added to earlier earlier visual clip on yoga performance. I will be using FCP to do the post editing. If this is possible how is it done and what are the settings. Thank you, Lage
Lage Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #10
Vortex Media

Lage,

If you're asking if you can use the EX1R to record audio only -- with no video -- the answer is no. The camcorder cannot be used as an audio-only recorder. But that shouldn't be a big deal. Let the camera record color bars, black with the lens covered, or what ever you want. After you bring the footage into Final Cut it is no big deal to separate the audio tracks from the video tracks and then delete the video track. You can then put the audio with your yoga footage.

However, all of that wastes a lot of storage space for video files you don't need. If you're going to do this very often I'd suggest NOT using the EX1R and getting a Zoom H4n or other digital audio recorder instead.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/600761-REG/Zoom_H4N_H4n_Handy_Mobile_4_Track.html

Another option is the Sony PCM-M10
Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training

I have both of these recorders and they work great!!!

Using a digital audio recorder, the file sizes will be much smaller and the audio recording quality will be much higher than you can do with the camcorder. The audio files (MP3 or WAV) can easily be imported into FCP and put with your Yoga footage.

EX1R Training DVD:
Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds