shot put pro setup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 10th, 2010, 06:33 AM   #1
Major Player

shot put pro setup

I started using shot put pro instead of sony clip browser to speed up transfers. It does help with multiple drives.

Shot put tech support laughed when I said I was using "byte verification" instead of "file size verification". "nobody does that".

File size verification is much faster. Do I really need byte verification?

I'm usually burning to at least 2 hard drives and occasionally 3.

Also, the time to go feature seems to be worthless. Anything I can do to get more accurate estimates of time to go? It would be nice to be able to tell a client that we have X minutes for transfers to completion.

I'm using a MacBookPro with SDHC cards in an express card adapter. I'm usually (not always) loading to Lacie rugged portable drives. The Lacie have one 800 & one 400 port so I daisy chain from the MBP 800 port to the first Lacie 800 then to the second Lacie via 400. Wish the MBP had two 800 ports...guess apple are too cheap to provide that.
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

also the shot put does not work with primera duplicators.... as advertised.

dano
Dano Motley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #3
Major Player

watsa primera duplicator?
Old September 13th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Google is my friend. Primera Duplicator
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #5
Major Player

ShotPut

The new version is better, but the format media automatically option should be in prefs not the app window check box. Most cards like to be formatted in the device that will be using them and it seems a bit too easy to wipe a card by accident. Not that accidents happen with cards....
Old September 13th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #6
Major Player

OK, anybody care to answer my main question?

"File size verification is much faster. Do I really need byte verification?"

Is there a forum somewhere dedicated to data management issues like this?
Old September 15th, 2010, 11:04 AM   #7
Regular Crew

"File size verification is much faster. Do I really need byte verification?"
I have used Shotput Pro for about a year and a half now, and really like it. I was very curious about this question when I first started using the software. The answer I got from Imagine Products was that file size verification is the default setting, or the one I should use unless there is an indication of a problem with the transfer. Which has happened to me with some SD cards that were not mine, and the software was very clear that the footage had not transferred properly. It made a nasty "dong" noise and the window turned red. Dana not happy! Anyway, I tried to transfer the footage using byte verification, but that didn't work either, so I marked the cards carefully and brought them back to Chicago. (I was in Kenya.) The brilliant guy in charge of post was able to get the footage off of the cards somehow. But I was very pleased that I was able to be aware of a problem so that the cards could be preserved. I think we all have to weigh how careful we want to be and how careful we can be with how much time and energy we have. I do all of my own transfers, as was the case in Africa, at night after shooting all day I would sleep until I heard the "ding" of the card being done, and get up and put the next card in. I wanted to be done with all of that within a couple of hours so file size verification was what I choose. If you are a person who is able to have cards copy slowly and you feel better about being super super super safe then maybe choose byte verification.
Dana Kupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Dana

Anyone else care to chime in on file size verification?

Is there a forum somewhere that has an active discussion on data management & file transfers?
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds