Firmware 1.2 Upgrade - Who's had success? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 15th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #1
Major Player

Firmware 1.2 Upgrade - Who's had success?

Hi,

I've kinda ignored the firmware updates, if it aint broke etc,. However i suddenly at the last minute need to do some long recording and i can't offload SxS cards during. So, in order to be able to use a SDHC card adaptor winging its way to me, i need to upgrade my firmware.

I see that there's a tutorial on v1.1 and also there's a sony end user upgrade to 1.2

However i see that some people have managed to brick their cameras with the 1.2 upgrade. I've downloaded everything and it seems simple enough...

What i would really like to hear is who has managed to do the upgrade successfully? And which platform did they upgrade from. A mac would be easiest but win xp 64 is possible too.

Would really appreciate some upgrade stories! Good and bad...

cheers
paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Inner Circle

There's entire threads devoted to this. Why not just read through and ask questions in the appropriate thread otherwise you're just going to get the same people reposting.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #3
Major Player

Well you must know where it is, why not give us a link. I can't find it either. Just firmware examples with SD cards.
I am also unable to find what firmware version I have with my EX3. There is no 'version' in my 'others'.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Major Player

Thank you Craig. Are you able to shed any light on why I don't see my version number in the Menu under 'others'. Before I bought the camera the person who sold it to me said they took the camera to Sony in NJ and had the latest firmware installed. If that is so wouldn't I be able to see versions in the 'others' menu?
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Firmware 1.20 for EX was very recently released just a few weeks back. He may not have been aware of it. It's possible he was talking about 1.11 or thereabouts which one still needed to go into the service menu to see the Firmware version.

1.11 can handle the SDHC cards but 1.2 is much more reliable at it. The latter was distributed by Sony as something the end user could do for free (with some small risk of bricking) otherwise Sony will do it for $135.
Old April 15th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #7
Major Player

EX3 firmware ...

The firmware for the ex3 is 1.10 up from 1.02. While there are upgrade disasters reported, I had no problem upgrading via Mac. If you follow the directions ... it should be a snap. Just make sure you electric connections are secure and be patient.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Harrington View Post
The firmware for the ex3 is 1.10 up from 1.02. While there are upgrade disasters reported, I had no problem upgrading via Mac. If you follow the directions ... it should be a snap. Just make sure you electric connections are secure and be patient.
As an added measure of precaution I had a battery in my camera and I had the camera power supply and computer plugged into a UPS. The Firmware upgrade went without any problems exactly as the instructions said.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 02:18 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
There's entire threads devoted to this. Why not just read through and ask questions in the appropriate thread otherwise you're just going to get the same people reposting.
Craig most of the threads i found are about problems, like most things - people tend to post when they have a problem. I wanted to gauge whether there were a lot of people who had upgraded successfully - get some idea of the balance.

Thanks for the links though, i think i missed some of those

cheers
paul
Old April 16th, 2010, 04:47 AM   #10
Major Player

I bought my ex-3 a year ago and it worked with sdhc right out of the box. I think that is true for all ex-3's. so I don't think you need a firmware upgrade just to use sdhc cards
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 06:09 AM   #11
Major Player

I think the main point of the upgrade is that it improves on the performance / reliability of SDHC card / adaptor useage.
Old April 16th, 2010, 07:04 AM   #12
Major Player

I'm potentially upgrading an old version v1.03_0351

I'm not even sure i can go from that version to 1.2 direct. I've not read about anyone doing this and in fact i saw a note to suggest that less that 1.05 needs to go to a sony centre. However i can see a vimeo tutorial upgrading to v1.11

So it's all a bit confusing.

My issue is run times, normally i have plenty of time between shots however i have a performance to record and little time to offload. Made worse by the fact that i switched from sony vaio to macbooks a while back and overlooked the lack of Express 34 slot, otherwise i could record on one SxS and offload the other.

I'm assuming i can download footage over USB, but i'm also assuming i cannot do that whilst the camera is recording? (I can't test right now...)

cheers
paul
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:18 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Paul there are plenty of success in those threads. You're certainly not going to get a equal distribution though as more failures will post than successes. I'm not sure what you're looking for but all you need is a couple of successes and their step by steps to know success is possible. It will be virtually impossible to get any kind of idea of the "balance" on a forum. There are very few failures really but they are catastrophic. As one person noted, Sony would actually repair in their Japan shop only at this point for $390. Others have been told $2000 but that's replacing the board rather than sending to Japan.

It's really best to get info from Sony and I find calling them gets more current information than what they have on any of their Pro websites. Note that I had a thread quite specific to that which I included.

It's really not clear what you're looking for.
If it's a successfully protocol, that's already there in the threads I posted.
If it's the benefits (or lack thereof) of the upgrade, that's already there too.
If it's the risk of upgrade, that's already there also.

Redundancy but you seem to want that.
For EX1 Sony said on the phone not to risk it if you're at 1.11 and below (bring it in) although sites say 1.0.5.
The upgrade will give you more reliable results with SDHC. Many cards that used to get media error will now work. Some cards can now overcrank at maximum data rate. There is a loss of a couple of minutes of record time amount depending on whether it's 16GB or 32GB card.

The new 13" and 15" MacBookPros have SDHC slots and you can transfer that way or use any number of inexpensive USB SDHC readers. It's certainly less expensive to buy four 32GB SDHC cards than the equivalent SxS cards. Offloading and erasing cards of any type is a MAJOR RISK during a shoot as it introduces possible human error when one may be distracted.
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:42 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
For EX1 Sony said on the phone not to risk it if you're at 1.11 and below (bring it in) although sites say 1.0.5.
That's the key.

I thought i had explained quite clearly but apologies if that hasn't come across

- I have an old firmware EX1 (v1.03)

- I was weighing up the risk up updating it myself so that i could use SDHC cards otherwise i'm going to have a complete data management problem tomorrow

- Because people tend to only post problems i wanted to get an idea out of the dvinfo audience who had managed the upgrade successfully.

So far in those threads i've not found anyone that has clearly been through 1.03 -> 1.2 in one go. And with the line you added then i think i'm going to have to stick to a data management nightmare and see about upgrading via sony.

thx
paul
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:48 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Sony told me $135 and 5-8 day turnaround for them to do the firmware upgrade.
People were weighing that against the small risk of brick and $2000 repair.
One person mentioned that Sony would send to Japan for $390 and 10-15 days to fix a brick. I haven't confirmed that from any other source though.

Personally $135 seems safest (just like buying insurance) rather than taking the small $2000 risk but that's just me. Many have done it themselves with no issue beyond a temporary increase in heart rate and blood pressure. One of my concerns is that an apparently good DIY upgrade can have hidden issues. Sony did my upgraded to 1.11 and I found a "hidden" issue and they had to do it a second time. I'd rather pay $135 for an upgrade they warranty.

I could have sworn someone started with 1.0.3 but generally it's been 1.11 and up with some starting at 1.0.5. If Sony is saying 1.11 is risky on the phone and below 1.0.5 risky on the web . . . I wouldn't risk it. Send it in locally. The biggest potential expense would be being down for 8 days depending on your business mode. I'm at 1.11 btw.

You hadn't mentioned 1.0.3 in your original post. That can make all the difference in the world.

Last edited by Craig Seeman; April 16th, 2010 at 10:26 AM.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds