Firmware 1.2 Upgrade - Who's had success? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 16th, 2010, 11:28 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Typical the negative news would travel faster than good news.
We updated couple EX1s to version 1.2 without any hickup (using PC). The benefits for this update, I can use SxS-1, Memory Stick & approved SDHC card (class 10). I knew that we can use SDHC cards before, but those "media restore" made me worry many times.

Other thing, couple cards that gave "media restore" before update (I stopped using those cards), now I re-run the test couple times with the new firmware without those "worry" msg anymore :-)
Tuy Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Firmware 1.20 for EX was very recently released just a few weeks back. He may not have been aware of it. It's possible he was talking about 1.11 or thereabouts which one still needed to go into the service menu to see the Firmware version.

1.11 can handle the SDHC cards but 1.2 is much more reliable at it. The latter was distributed by Sony as something the end user could do for free (with some small risk of bricking) otherwise Sony will do it for $135.
I called Sony in NJ and told them my camera had just been in for a firmware update (3/29) and yet I still have a version 1.05 and was not able to see what my version was in "Menu' and "others', I could see it in the service menu. They said I should be able to see it in 'others', if the firmware was the latest, but they were unclear on what the latest firmware is. They seemed to have one version they install and another later one for people to download and install? They called me back after some discussion with the Service manager Dominic and said they would update it for free, I just had to ship it to them, However it still cost $85 to ship with insurance but it is worth it, especially with the SD card issues I have been having.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Curtis View Post
Would really appreciate some upgrade stories! Good and bad...

cheers
paul
I have performed the 1.11 to 1.2 update on 4 different EX1s with no issues or hiccups. It's very easy to do and as has been suggested earlier in this thread and many others I had the camera powered via AC with a battery in it as well. I also used a laptop to do the updates in case of a power outage and everything turned off the whole update process would be able to continue on battery power with both camera and computer. The odds of that happening is definitely extremely slim, but it's a good precaution to take anyways when messing around with the brain of a $6000+ investment! ;^)
Hiram Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Sony's instructions mention using a special USB cord to connect to the camera. You really don't need it, but it sure wouldn't hurt to make sure you are using a high-quality cable in good condition. These cables get tossed around and beat up when they are used every day. I used an unused cable that came with a digital audio recorder. Word to the wise.
Pete
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 07:17 AM   #20
Trustee

I recently upgraded our 3 EX1s and 2 EX3s without issue. I did take the obvious precaution of having both mains and battery power available to the camera and I did use a laptop running Win7 and shutdown as many background processes as possible.
Both the EX1 and EX3 cameras were updated by Sony around 6 months ago. Sorry I don't have the previous firmware revision numbers at hand but they were probably the previous bar one releases.
One small plus no one has mentioned. The latest firmware version sets Flicker Reduction to Off after a Reset All. The previous firmware only does this for the Region60 variant of the camera which had been a minor pain for us.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #21
Regular Crew

just upgraded 1.0.3 to 1.2 in one go, no problems...

Just takes multiple restarts (4) and you just make sure you read the instructions and follow them :).

Done with a win 7 system.
David Hadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 12:30 AM   #22
Major Player

Just to add and perhaps conclude this, i spoke to someone in service where i'd bought the camera. They said go for it, they'd had no problems and i did the firmware upgrade no problem yesterday.

That's from 1.03 all the way to 1.2 in one hit - followed the instructions and no issues whatsoever.

So if anyone else is wondering then that's a positive result from me

cheers
paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 07:26 AM   #23
New Boot

No progblems

I followed the instructions and the upgrade was easy... No problems. Worth doing.
Hal Protter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #24
Major Player

I was a little nervous but it went smoothly on an EX1 using a Macbook Pro. The moment of reckoning when the camera was switched on after a successful upgrade had been indicated was heart stopping as the camera thought about it for what seemed an eternity before booting up but all is well. The Sony update procedure prompts were easy to follow.
Just carried out second upgrade without incident. I forgot to mention that for some reason now and again as the upgrade progressed a box came up stating that USB connection had been broken or something like that. Nothing had been touched so I clicked ok and the box went away and the upgrade continued. On completion as stated above nothing happened when I rebooted but when I tried a second time all was well. I have upgraded to use the cheaper Sony cards and have more confidence in using SDHC for some jobs. Having said that I use MxM with Transcend and Sandisk cards purchased back at the start of the revolution, never had a problem but always use SxS for very important work.

Last edited by Bruce Rawlings; May 1st, 2010 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Updated info
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #25
Major Player

Can't Get Version Updater to See Connection

Hello all. We recently got an EX1R and I can't get the firmware version upgrader program to see the connection. I'm using a Mac Pro with 10.5.8. The program launches, prompts for license agreement, then waits for the USB connection. The camera shows up in the Finder as an untitled USB device and is recognized by Final Cut but not by the version upgrader. I have all programs closed while trying to do the upgrade also. I've tried turning the camera on in camera mode and media mode and no luck. Anyone have this problem?

Thanks.
Old September 15th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #26
Major Player

firmware ...

Are you sure you are using the right USB connection for the upgrade?
Old September 15th, 2010, 05:14 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Perry View Post
Hello all. We recently got an EX1R and I can't get the firmware version upgrader program to see the connection. I'm using a Mac Pro with 10.5.8. The program launches, prompts for license agreement, then waits for the USB connection. The camera shows up in the Finder as an untitled USB device and is recognized by Final Cut but not by the version upgrader. I have all programs closed while trying to do the upgrade also. I've tried turning the camera on in camera mode and media mode and no luck. Anyone have this problem?

Thanks.
The update procedure for an EX1r is different. They update from firmware you put on a SxS card. You don't use the USB cable or the update utility for an EX1r, only an EX1.

I am not aware of any firmware update for the "R". They came out of the box with the SDHC and other improvements brought by v1.2 for the EX1.
Old September 15th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #28
Major Player

Thanks guys. I just found out from a sony tech this afternoon that as you stated, the EX1R needs no firmware update.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds