SD Adapter Write Protect Error at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 26th, 2010, 02:17 AM   #1
Major Player

SD Adapter Write Protect Error

When I eject my MxR adapter with a Transcend 16Gb SDHC Class 10 from my EX1 while it's powered I get a write protect error when I reinsert the adapter (displayed by a lock icon next to the A or B slot).

I then have to remove the SD card from the adapter move the write protect tab on the SD card into active reinsert the adapter into the EX1 wait for another write protect error to display remove the card again deactivate the write protect tab on the SD card and reinsert the adapter again only then will the EX1 read the card.

Why is this happening?
Firmware 1.20
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #2
Sponsor: eFilms (MxR)

What happens if you remove the card, do not touch the write protect tab, but just remove the Transcend card from the reader, and re-insert?

If you get the same behaviour as you have been getting, please try the following after powering down the camera.

Can you try reformatting the Transcend card using the following steps:

1. Put the MxR with the Transcend into Slot B on your camera.

2. Follow the steps, Menu>Others>Format Media> and select slot B.

3. Format the Transcend card.

Please try to record again.
Old September 26th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #3
Major Player

Ross I keep getting a "NG: Media Write Protected" error which prevents me from formatting the card. It's a very random process which fixes itself after multiple power on/off cycles and trying to format.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #4
Sponsor: eFilms (MxR)

Hi Nicholas,

Please email me on ross@e-films.com.au, and let's work out what is going wrong.
Old November 25th, 2010, 06:09 AM   #5
Major Player

Turned out I received a faulty MxR adapter from B&H however E-Films offered amazing support & swapped it out for a new adapter - they really went out of their way to help me find a solution. I haven't had any problem since and have been using Class 10 SD cards exclusively for all my EX1 footage, even overcranked. Thanks E-Films.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds