Cheaper alternative to Nano for EX1 ?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 6th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olakunle Olanrewaju View Post
The competition is getting interesting day by day. looking at this ninja at the moment the only thing i have agaist it is the name. I do not like chinese names(no apologies). but I might be picking one when the full details is out and real world test prove good.
Dear Olakunle,

I worked in Osogbo in the nineties on a World bank project (DHV Consultants). We had an Olakunle in our team. It doesn't happen to be you, I suppose?

Cees
Cees van Kempen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Is there any difference in japanese and chinese they all have 'nese' and that is the problem I have with their names lol
Old October 6th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees van Kempen View Post
Dear Olakunle,

I worked in Osogbo in the nineties on a World bank project (DHV Consultants). We had an Olakunle in our team. It doesn't happen to be you, I suppose?

Cees
No, though I was born near Osogbo and Schooled in Osogbo. It is nice to know you've been to Osogbo anyway we could hook-up any time you decide to come back visiting.

Olakunle
Old October 29th, 2010, 04:39 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Atmos isn't Working

I have noticed that for some time now the atmos site is working Enter The Ninja, what could be wrong? I don't think this is good for Business.
Old October 29th, 2010, 06:59 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
Well, I use Vegas which can't handle Pro-Res. The Aja units are geared toward FC Pro as well. Our choices are limited so the Nano seems like the only reliable choice if one wants to spend that much money for it. The Blackmagic Pro-Recorder sounds interesting, but there is no User Manual to download and no test reports I am aware of. Blackmagic says it is shipping this month (October).

John
I haven't tried it myself but based on the reports of many other Vegas users it reads ProRes just fine once you install the codec.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 03:27 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olakunle Olanrewaju View Post
I have noticed that for some time now the atmos site is working Enter The Ninja, what could be wrong? I don't think this is good for Business.
it is suppose to be
I have noticed that for some time now the atmos site is NOT working Enter The Ninja, what could be wrong? I don't think this is good for Business.
Old November 11th, 2010, 10:13 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Atomos's website is fine ?

Just checked and their website is still active ?

Have also sent them an Email Jim asking them to include an SDI input in the future, I suggest we send them a few queries about when the upgrade will take place :-)
Chris Paporakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 10:28 PM   #23
Trustee

Good luck with sending emails. I sent one and received no response. When or if their product is released, be careful. Wait for some credible reviews before placing an order.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 06:07 AM   #24
Major Player

I think I heard in a video somewhere that they where working on HD-SDI model - I am a buyer when it appears !!!
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Paporakis View Post
Just checked and their website is still active ?

:-)
Just checked the website its still not working! I dont know how you are getting it to work or maybe my IP is blocked 'cos definately its not wroking from my end here.
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Well, I use Vegas which can't handle Pro-Res.
I've used ProRes for years on Vegas. Works fine.

Quote:
The Aja units are geared toward FC Pro as well.
True. But they still work for Premier, Avid, and Vegas.

Quote:
Our choices are limited so the Nano seems like the only reliable choice if one wants to spend that much money for it.
Your choices are limited to whatever you choose them to be. Others are doing every day, what say you cannot do.
Old November 12th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
The Blackmagic Pro-Recorder sounds interesting, but there is no User Manual to download and no test reports I am aware of. Blackmagic says it is shipping this month (October).

John
What recorder you mean?
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
The Blackmagic Pro-Recorder sounds interesting, but there is no User Manual to download and no test reports I am aware of. Blackmagic says it is shipping this month (October).
=============
What recorder you mean?
===============
This one:

Blackmagic Design: H.264 Pro Recorder

Only now it says it will ship in November instead of October.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #29
Major Player

[quote
This one:

Blackmagic Design: H.264 Pro Recorder

Only now it says it will ship in November instead of October.

John[/quote]

I finally queried BlackMagic on its intended deliver date as I have had this device on order from B&H since the beginning of June 2010. BlackMagic responded this week as follows:

"Barry,

Thank you for your interest in our products.

At this time, the Blackmagic Design, H.264 Pro Recorder is still considered
to be under development. Currently, the most up to date information I have
is that we are hoping to see this unit, production ready and shipping
sometime by the end of 2010/beginning of 2011 timeframe. However, because
this unit is still under development, ship time estimates are still subject
to change.

I have no information regarding any plans to replace this unit with an
updated version. Nor am I aware of any future feature additions which will
allow for the storage of captured material in the manner for which you are
looking.

It is highly doubtful at this time, that we would release a device that will
more closely suit the workflow you have described below.

Hope this information was helpful.

Richard T. Chao
Support Engineer
Blackmagic Design Inc. USA"

Needless to say, I have since cancelled my order. Given that another thread has been discussing the merits of ProRes vs. H.264 I am now leaning towards a ProRes solution. However, I refuse to purchase anything that uses Compact Flash cards. Toshiba is now manufacturing very thin and space saving SSD's with as much as 256GB of storage and a SATAII interface as used in the MacBook Air. Surely, AJA and/or Convergent will get the drift and abandon Compact Flash cards. If and when that happens, they will receive my consideration.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Anwender View Post
However, I refuse to purchase anything that uses Compact Flash cards. Toshiba is now manufacturing very thin and space saving SSD's with as much as 256GB of storage and a SATAII interface as used in the MacBook Air. Surely, AJA and/or Convergent will get the drift and abandon Compact Flash cards. If and when that happens, they will receive my consideration.
You may be waiting a while. A significant part of professional workflow (which these units are aimed at) includes hand-off) as the shooter is often on contract, and does not get to take the tape/SDHC card/CF card home. To facilitate this common professional workflow, practically every modern pro or prosumer camera offers removable media.

The inability to do a footage handoff after shooting would likely preclude sales to most professional shooters because it means that they could not do a hand-off, and it means that any media issue would render the unit inoperable until it's fixed. That problem is solved on removable media by placing another card in the slot.

Maybe what you want will be developed. But I wouldn't bet on it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds